test

Can't boot from my battery

The Janitor

Hi guys. I have M17x R4. I have this problem where i go to school, turn it on and all the lights come on like normal except for the screen and then it beeps 8 times. This is on battery. I then googled what that code is and it means an LCD failure. Then i plugged it in and it worked perfectly. I can even unplug it from AC and it will still work fine. So the problem is that i cant boot from battery. Does anyone know a solution to this problem that doesnt involve ordering new parts or things like that? :(

MattyB

That's an odd one. Does your machine have the 3D screen? If so, it could be a GPU issue. It may not be getting the juice it needs to power up the screen from startup.

The Janitor

No I don't have the 3d screen. I've got a 675m, 3630qm. I think it night be a battery issue.

MattyB

Yeah that would be the simplest solution. Strange that you get an LCD error though.

AeonSoul

Try turning off the laptop in power saving mode, and then boot from battery. Check what happens. Also, try to run a battery test from AlienAutopsy.

The Janitor

Also if I have the laptop on and then turn it off and back on immediately while on battery it will boot fine

The Janitor

I kinda fixed the problem. All i do is switch to my intergrated graphics and then boot from it and then it works fine. I shouldn't be playing games on battery anyway :)

MattyB

It still seems like there is an issue there somewhere. You shouldn't have to do that. I would try to get some Dell resolution before the warranty expires.