Changing Your Windows 7 Login Screen

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
win7bg_article7.jpg

This is a simple How-To for customizing your Windows 7 login screen.
Please Note: There are always risks involved when editing the windows registry. Proceed with caution.

Step 1 - A Quick Registry Edit

Click on the Start button and enter regedit in the Search box. There should only be one item listed in the search results called, you guessed it, regedit. Click on it.

win7bg_article1.png

Now depending on how you have your windows settings configured, you may or may not get the User Account Control popup window. If you do, just click Yes. If you don't get the popup then you are already in the registry editor.

win7bg_article3.jpg

Right click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and select the Find command. Type OEMBackground in the text field and make sure only Values is checked. You may have to un-check Keys and Data.

win7bg_article2.jpg

The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background key will open. Double-click the OEMBackground value. You'll see the Edit DWORD dialog box. Change the value data from 0 to 1. Click OK and close the Registry Editor. Step 1 is complete!

win7bg_article4.jpg

Step 2 - Creating Two Folders

Launch Windows Explorer. Go to the C:\Windows\System32\oobe folder. Create a new folder called info inside of the oobe folder. Then create a second new folder called backgrounds inside of the info folder that you just created.

Step 3 - Adding Your Custom Wallpaper

The image that you choose must meet the following requirements:
  1. JPG file type
  2. Called exactly backgroundDefault.jpg
  3. Cannot exceed 256 KB in file size
  4. Image dimensions should match your native screen resolution, otherwise it will be stretched and distorted.

Once your image has met all of the above requirements, drop it in the backgrounds folder that you created in Step 2. When you copy your image file into this folder, you may get a confirmation dialog box. Just click continue.

Step 4 - Finishing Touches

Depending on the custom wallpaper that you are using, you may have to adjust the shadows behind the button and text on the Logon screen. To alter the shadows, launch the Register Editor again as you did in Step 1. Go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI folder. Open the LogonUI folder, and create a new DWORD value called ButtonSet.

win7bg_article6.jpg

You can then configure the shadow by setting the value data to one of the following numbers:
  • 0 = Light Shadow
  • 1 = Dark Shadow
  • 2 = No Shadow

That's it!

Dantheman221

How to change loading screen for WIN 7
I'm guessing you might be annoyed by that black screen and the flag shaping in the middle? Well, you can use this handy tool and create your own gif or tiff animation instead of the flag and include any image format for the background! Note: Animation is only like, 200x200 in the middle. If it is larger, it re-sizes it automatically!

Last edited:

durbin209

Tid bit of info for my M17XR3, I did not have to create two files as said in step 2, I already had info and background folders. Thanks for the information!

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Tid bit of info for my M17XR3, I did not have to create two files as said in step 2, I already had info and background folders. Thanks for the information!
That sounds about right as what I posted was basically put in place by Microsoft so OEMs can use their own custom images easier.

dnvr.dsz

Thanx For Sharing It...But Its Of No Use For Me Coz I Don't Use Password :) But Its Great To Know How To Do It

CJohnny

I have a problem.

On the, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
It is not able to find the >>>>>>> OEMBackground.

So there is no Edit DWORD for me to change it from 0 to 1.

Tried the App from Tweaks. That did not work too.

Any advice.
Thank You in advance.

Problem Solved.

It turns out to be my Custom Theme, 'My Color, Star Dock' are the doing.
For some reason, it change the "registry" for the regedit.
That is the reason I was unable to find it.
After more research on the internet and come across this theard:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/w7itproui/thread/8dff1f0e-0f89-401c-9da3-bb251bee2c46

So I gave it a shoot.
And yes. Fixed.

Just for any more body may come up with the same issue in the future.

Thx again

Last edited: