Computer overheats and shuts down while playing FarCry 3

Computer overheats and shuts down while playing FarCry 3. Could happen in 2 hours or 2 minutes. Never a problem playing BF3. Please advise.

Intel ® Core ™ i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHZ, AMD Radeon HD 7970, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Alienware Area 51, x64-based PC, 12.0 GB RAM, Central Daylight Time

What's cooling the cpu, fan or water? Might need to reapply the cooler to the cpu with new paste.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Liquid cooled. The CPU fan appears firmly attached. Fans ramp up under FarCry load. First shut down takes about an hour and about 10 minutes or less of game play prior to shut down after that. No over-clocking. Settings are at maxium. No other glitches in game-play. No warning other than fan noise prior to shut down.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
It might seem firmly on there, but the paste could've worn down if it's been on there for a long time. I'd try and reapply paste, that's the only thing it could be, unless your pump is going out and conveniently only happens during that game.

tappin from the Nexus 4

mf9

Oct 19, 2013
London
You running an R1 or R2 and what power supply, I assume 330w. Have you tried lowering the core power of the GPU to determine whether it's the graphic card which I assume it is. Also what temps is the GPU running at. Log the GPU with GPU-Z.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
You running an R1 or R2 and what power supply, I assume 330w. Have you tried lowering the core power of the GPU to determine whether it's the graphic card which I assume it is. Also what temps is the GPU running at. Log the GPU with GPU-Z.

The gpu would throttle and underclock itself before the pc crashed. I mean it's a possibility, but highly unlikely, Especially with these newer gpus. Could be a failing psu as well. If your gpu is overheating and causing your pc to crash, then something is damaged or will get damaged on the gpu eventually.

tappin from the Nexus 4

jjbbelgium

Oct 24, 2013
U.S.A.
The gpu would throttle and underclock itself before the pc crashed. I mean it's a possibility, but highly unlikely, Especially with these newer gpus. Could be a failing psu as well. If your gpu is overheating and causing your pc to crash, then something is damaged or will get damaged on the gpu eventually.

tappin from the Nexus 4

The GPU may be failing as the computer is now shutting down while playing BF3 and BF4, as well as FarCry 3. The Catalyst Control notes the GPU temp at about 85° C with the fan running at about 50%, just when entering a BF4 multiplayer game without any activity. Again, I'm running an AMD Sapphire 7970 but did not upgrade cooling at the time of installation. Any suggestions? I'm no more of a computer whiz than Cheez Whiz® is cheese, so I'll likely have someone do the work unless the fix is super easy. Oh, and I have an Alienware 51, not the X51

Last edited:

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
Your running a 7970 in the x51? That's your issue right there, your psu probably isn't handling all the power that gpu needs, plus the temps in that thing are probably insane. There's a reason they put a blower type gpu in the x51, to keep temps down, way down.

A failing gpu won't crash your comp either, you'll see weird crap all over your monitor. If it's crashing I'm betting you now it's the psu not cutting it with that gpu. I'd sell that gpu and get a evga reference card. Find a used 670ftw on eBay too.

tappin from the Nexus 4

jjbbelgium

Oct 24, 2013
U.S.A.
Your running a 7970 in the x51? That's your issue right there, your psu probably isn't handling all the power that gpu needs, plus the temps in that thing are probably insane. There's a reason they put a blower type gpu in the x51, to keep temps down, way down.

A failing gpu won't crash your comp either, you'll see weird crap all over your monitor. If it's crashing I'm betting you now it's the psu not cutting it with that gpu. I'd sell that gpu and get a evga reference card. Find a used 670ftw on eBay too.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Just to be clear, I’ve got the older (from 2011) Area 51, which is the same size case as the current Aurora. Obviously, this box has lots of room so I was initially surprised by the heat dissipation problems related to the AMD Sapphire 7970. Anyway, I’ve ordered the following cooling device in the hopes that this will ameliorate the problem.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...atpipe_Cooler_ACCEL-TT-7970.html?tl=g40c21s65
It got decent reviews but have no idea if it will work or the difficulty to install. All thoughts on this topic are welcome.

Computer overheats and shuts down while playing FarCry 3. Could happen in 2 hours or 2 minutes. Never a problem playing BF3. Please advise.

Intel ® Core ™ i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHZ, AMD Radeon HD 7970, Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Alienware Area 51, x64-based PC, 12.0 GB RAM, Central Daylight Time

Okay, problem solved. I installed an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 7970 VGA Heatpipe Cooler (ACCCEL-TT-7970) to my Sapphire 7970. Previously I was reaching 95°+ C playing FarCry 3 and the computer would shut down. Now the GPU temp tops off at about 70° C with settings at maximum. So far, no premature shut-down problems on any game. Also, I reseated the CPU. I couldn't be more pleased. I hope this helps someone with heat issues using this card.

STDVirus

Nov 30, 2013
Olympia,wa

You have way to much power draw from your setup. the cpu is 130wTDP and the 7970 TDP is 250w so BF3 must not of used your pc to the fullest is my guess where FC3 def. will. When your cpu and gpu hit close to 100% usage at the same time it will crash your x51.