Concerned about gpu

Hi guys,

I just ordered an alienware x51 from the Dell outlet with massive discounts. Specs:
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i5-4440 processor (6M Cache, up to 3.3 GHz)
1.5 GB nVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 GDDR5
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

My only concern is with the graphics card. I started doing research on the benchmarks for the 760 but no one seems to have a 1.5gb vram. I then read that the alienware 760 is just a re-branded 1.5gb 660. If that's the case then the alienware 760 is nowhere near the performance of mainstream 2gb 760's. Is this true? If so, that's a ridiculous marketing ploy on from Dell.

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
Dell and other companies have been doing this for years when I bought my M17xR4 it had an NVidia GTX 675 which I later found out it was just a rebadged GTX580 and most of the new cards out like the 760=660m 765=675 and theirs more. Its the corporate world we live in. if the working class man done this they would be jailed consumerism has a lot too answer for

STDVirus

Nov 30, 2013
Olympia,wa
Basically the 760 replaced the 660 just like my 680 was replaced by the 780. Trust me when i say the 1.5gb gtx 760 that comes with the x51 will be better then a 660ti with 2gb. The 760 is a good card, now the gtx 670 is better then the 760 in performance though. The first number is the series so the 760 is the newer 700 series card the next 2 numbers are basically the class they're in. So for example even though the 760 is a newer card it still gets beat by the 670 because its a higher class card. This isn't always the case though, for another example the gtx 680 gets beat by the gtx 770 not by much but by enough to make it the better value. But in another example the gtx 690 will beat the gtx 780 but not the gtx 780 ti. Here is a site for a good guide for purchasing a card.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Sorry didn't mean to ramble on and if i said stuff you already know sorry again.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
Dell doesn't make the gpus, it's nvidia. Of course they rebrand them, been doing it for years. The only gpu that's new is the 780 and titan with the gk110 chip, 690 shouldn't be included bc it's a dual card in sli on one pcb. The 660, 670, 680, 760, 770 are all gk104. When the 670ftw came out, it was literally a 680 with a few things disabled on the pcb. It was as fast sometimes faster than a 680. People were mad bc it was cheaper than a 680 as well.

The 780 is in a league of its own with it being a titan just without the compute feature or whatever it is and 3 extra gigs vram. 780ti is a fully unlocked titan with custom cooling options, so it's the fastest card to date for $700, beating the overpriced titan. When the 780ti kingpin ed comes out, it's game over!!! Im going to jump all over that in jan, selling my 780 classy.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:
Dell doesn't make the gpus, it's nvidia. Of course they rebrand them, been doing it for years. The only gpu that's new is the 780 and titan with the gk110 chip, 690 shouldn't be included bc it's a dual card in sli on one pcb. The 660, 670, 680, 760, 770 are all gk104. When the 670ftw came out, it was literally a 680 with a few things disabled on the pcb. It was as fast sometimes faster than a 680. People were mad bc it was cheaper than a 680 as well.

The 780 is in a league of its own with it being a titan just without the compute feature or whatever it is and 3 extra gigs vram. 780ti is a fully unlocked titan with custom cooling options, so it's the fastest card to date for $700, beating the overpriced titan. When the 780ti kingpin ed comes out, it's game over!!! Im going to jump all over that in jan, selling my 780 classy.

tappin from the neXus 5

780 is not eve. Close to a titan. Titan has more ram, shaders and tmu's. Also the titan takes 30w less then theb780. The 780 is a turd been like that since it came out. The 780ti's are titans with less ram. Big diff. Between the 780 and 780ti.

Also I game at qhd in 3d I run 3 titans and I ran 3 780ti's to see how they were and I seen a nice drop in performance vs the titans. The extra vram is deff. a must have for qhd 3d gaming.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
780 is not eve. Close to a titan. Titan has more ram, shaders and tmu's. Also the titan takes 30w less then theb780. The 780 is a turd been like that since it came out. The 780ti's are titans with less ram. Big diff. Between the 780 and 780ti.

Also I game at qhd in 3d I run 3 titans and I ran 3 780ti's to see how they were and I seen a nice drop in performance vs the titans. The extra vram is deff. a must have for qhd 3d gaming.

Ok dude you must be trolling right? First I said it had less ram, you read that right? Sec the 780 is no "turd" not even close. 780 is essentially a titan with some shit disabled. You wouldn't want a titan comparison with my 780 classy. Unless you need 6gb of vram, titans are overpriced gpus with less performance than a 780ti @ $700, and are almost on par with a 780. You can close that gap easily by a oc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-10.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-ti-review

This is for the 780 classy, just for giggles!!!

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_780_classified_review,17.html

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
sway im gonna say the titan really iasmt over priced yes the 780ti ia what the titan should be but. in my case the 6 gigs was worth the extra as cod ghost is running my vram at 6034mb. but i am also compairing alpples to oranges when talking about my rig. but on the other hand homw dude isnt right about calling the 780 a turd. 780 isnt a titan with less vram. i dunno why people try to compare the 2 anymore. 2 dif card class's anyways. i will be getting me another titan sc and maybe a third. why. just because there isnt nothing better then saying titan in your specs. although i do believe the 780 was supposed to be called the titan lite card before being dubbed the 780. if you dont need the 6 gigs of vramm dont buy it. if you do then shell it out.

STDVirus

Nov 30, 2013
Olympia,wa
The 780ti will beat a titan if using a single display, but if you are using multiple monitors then yes a titan is going to be better due to the vRAM. In most cases the 780ti is the way to go, its cheaper then the titan by a land slide and offer's better performance for the average user. The 780 is a good card to IMO i don't think its worth $500 but it beats out the GTX 680 for almost the same price. but if you have the money like holeyguy66 says and your running 3 monitors then you have to pay for the performance. That is why the titan costs so much for the extreme gamer its a better performer. I play on a LED TV for me it would be dumb to get a Titan i would get the GTX 780 Ti. It all depends on your intentions. That's my 2 cents ;)

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
All the titan has going for it is the vram for more monitors, 3d, whatever.

Big said the 780 is a "turd", no not even close considering its literally a titan. Get the facts straight the 680 isn't on the same level as a 780, it's to different architectures. The 780ti shouldn't be $700, the 780 isn't a bad price considering they beat out titans. My 780 classy crushes titans, unless they're running modded bios and high volts. The 680 to 780 was a huge leap.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
sway im gonna say the titan really iasmt over priced yes the 780ti ia what the titan should be but. in my case the 6 gigs was worth the extra as cod ghost is running my vram at 6034mb. but i am also compairing alpples to oranges when talking about my rig. but on the other hand homw dude isnt right about calling the 780 a turd. 780 isnt a titan with less vram. i dunno why people try to compare the 2 anymore. 2 dif card class's anyways. i will be getting me another titan sc and maybe a third. why. just because there isnt nothing better then saying titan in your specs. although i do believe the 780 was supposed to be called the titan lite card before being dubbed the 780. if you dont need the 6 gigs of vramm dont buy it. if you do then shell it out.

Did you not read the links I provided, they're the same chip dude. They're the same card, please read, I did the footwork for you. They say the 780 is a titan bc it is WITHOUT compute. The 780 ti is a fully unlocked gk110 in which is more powerful than the titan, the classified version makes it even better bc of the bigger pcb and acx cooling.

Cod isn't good to compare anything to bc it's horribly unoptimized, they're people I know with insane setups running into fps problems.

Do some research!!! Don't confuse me with saying you guys aren't using the extra vram, some people need it, like multi monitors guys, 3d users, etc... but don't get your info confused on these gpus. Titan was the single most powerful, 780 was insanely close until overclocked then it essentially is exactly the same or better. 780ti is the most powerful single gpu.

Classified are in another league of there own with the custom pcb, extra power phases, etc... overclocking monsters. Mine gets to 1430 core, 3900 mem on air @1.35v. I'm way past titan performance just on air.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
Not sure why your attacking me Sway! i'm not the one that called the 780 a "turd"! I compared the 680 and the 780 because the 780 replaced it and i also said it was better then the 680. I said that the 780 was a good card IMO!

Ah man your right, I wasn't paying attention I'm sorry.

Im not meaning to attack anyone either, not my intention. Just don't understand the mis information in some of the other posts.

tappin from the neXus 5

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
yes i did and im not going any further. you can sit here and tell me yours can go this high with an oc. ok im glade. i make up for what i cant over clock with my cpu.

I gave numbers on mine as an example. You said the 780 wasn't a titan when it is, minus what I mentioned earlier of course. It's in the previous posts, so it's there for a good read.

In no way am I saying your setup is bad, or your wasting money, I think it's sweet. When comparing gpus though and what's the best and what's the same, I mentioned earlier.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
well my apologies. took it the wrong way. im actually fixing to flash my bios after i research it somemore. i read i was supposed to be able to unlock the 1.3 core voltage with out bios flash but thats been a no go so far. its a softtware mod on afterburner thats supposed to work.

sway

Apr 12, 2012
Houston
well my apologies. took it the wrong way. im actually fixing to flash my bios after i research it somemore. i read i was supposed to be able to unlock the 1.3 core voltage with out bios flash but thats been a no go so far. its a softtware mod on afterburner thats supposed to work.

Not sure about the titan, on mine though I had to flash custom bios and use the overvoltage tool to get to 1.35v with a 200% tdp. Can barely keep it at 80c on air at that.

tappin from the neXus 5