test

Connections between alienware x51 cpu & monitor

jackcrimson

Hi, I was thinking of buying the latest gaming desktop Alienware X51 cpu, but it comes without the monitor. I have my own current Samsung LCD monitor with the VGA connector only. But the connection ports on the Alienware X51 cpu are DVI & HDMI connection ports. So I wonder, can I connect the Alienware X51 cpu to my current Samsung VGA monitor?? Do I need to use any converters to connect? Examples: VGA to DVI converter, VGA to HDMI converter.

p/s: Will need lots of opinions before buying the Alienware X51.

MattyB

Hi. Yes you will need a DVI-A to VGA adapter. There will be a DVI-A port on the GPU on the X51.

They are great little machines. Get the best CPU and GPU you can afford. All parts are upgradable yourself later on though.

Ronan

Waste of money... VGA has been replaced for a reason. The quality of the signal is mediocre at best (its a analogue connection after all).

A good DVI LCD in the 25" cost nothing now a day (i bought a previous generation, meaning last year model, samsung 27" LCD for $150 open box. 1080P resolution, DVI plugs). If i spent another $100 i would have gotten a UltraHD monitor.

Your 2048x1536 via VGA will look like crap next to a 1280x1024 via DVI.

Buy a new screen, locally, open box or barely used. No need to waste money on Dell screens which are vastly overpriced!