Cooler Master U3

Commy1

So my M14x got as high as 98 a few days ago, it was really alarming and I decided that it was time for a cooling pad. (98 was from running Advanced System Care Deep Clean, McAfee Full Scan, Playing Tribes Ascend and playing music on iTunes with a browser open, all without any lag, quite pleased.) So I went on a hunt for a cooling pad, found some good reviews and I believe Cooler Master to be one of the best names in system cooling. So this is my short review of the U3

The entire body is machined, black aluminium, very light weight. It comes with 3 fans which can be placed where ever there are holes on the pad. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard them, almost entirely silent. The number of holes and the amount of air they push out is very satisfying and has kept my computer below the 80's even under similar loads as above.

It also comes with a pretty heavy duty elastic strap, you can take the fans off, turn it over and place you laptop in the pad and strap it in, making it MUCH more portable than any pad I've ever had before (cough Targus cough). It works with up to 17" laptops so they say but I bet an m18x user could make due. It has very good quality, grippy rubber pads on the top left and right corners and a large on across the bottom as well as inside where the laptop sits (no scratches yay!) I did have a little trouble finding a sweet spot for the best grip but as soon as I did I had no problem.

The fans wiring appears to be rather cheaply done, but when I thought about it, if I ever had a problem with them, it'd be very easy to fix myself, as they are only held together with shrink tape-type-stuff. The fans have speed control and the USB power plug is male+female, so you don't lose a USB port, very important.

Overall I very much like it, and for under 40$ CND after tax and shipping from Newegg, who could go wrong. I recommend this cooling pad for Alienware users.

Maelstrom

If only Alienware made cooling pads for their laptops and perhaps extended the LEDs to them...

But this is interesting, if I ever need a cooling pad I may consider this.

Commy1

Glad to help. Cheaper than a lot of the other ones I've seen in The Source and Futureshop, working a lot better than those ones to. Belkin and Targus cooling pads I've found are garbage.

just saw into it nice buy
well I got a cooling pad right within 2 days I got my m14x, screwed my previous laptop a hp pavilion due to heat problems and some others

well I got a belkin one as I said and after about 5 months just recently useless machine stopped working
so decided to go for a good one, one made for gaming laptops and got the Coolmaster storm sf-19 and its awesome! buttons to control the fan speed as required, different colours for matching your notebook, monster design overall killer product! just a bit expensive thought but quality comes at a price

Glad to help. Cheaper than a lot of the other ones I've seen in The Source and Futureshop, working a lot better than those ones to. Belkin and Targus cooling pads I've found are garbage.
I wish you could have heard this before :/
:p

Commy1

just saw into it nice buy
well I got a cooling pad right within 2 days I got my m14x, screwed my previous laptop a hp pavilion due to heat problems and some others

well I got a belkin one as I said and after about 5 months just recently useless machine stopped working
so decided to go for a good one, one made for gaming laptops and got the Coolmaster storm sf-19 and its awesome! buttons to control the fan speed as required, different colours for matching your notebook, monster design overall killer product! just a bit expensive thought but quality comes at a price
I had considered dumping the money into getting a cooling pad just like that, but overall I'm glad I went with the U3. That thing is a beast that probably requires a power supply, just another wire that I don't want to deal with. And it's huge, not portable by any definition. Simplicity in this case, is key.

yikes81

the u3 or sf-19? whichever cool :)
I got the U3. I like the fact that it does not need an external power supply, and that it does the job and is pretty quiet.....and how it allows placement of the fans to suit your laptop.

I think I prefer 3 small fans instead of one big one.

@Commy1 @yikes81 yeah the sf-19 is a beast, and I actually prefer a ac power supply then usb connection so Im happy with mine.
Yes I wanted atleast 2 fans so went for it, its a beast works great, but huge so not at all portable atleast conventionally

yikes81

yeh i suppose extra usb ports is cool. i seem to always be running out of usb ports these days.

AeonSoul

ah good for you, that model isn't available here, I have USB 2.0 instead. But doesn't matter as that is the only difference and more over I don't have any usb 3.0 devices
Yeah that's pretty much the only difference between the two, if you count out the color. I went for the 3.0 cause I have and externa hdd usb 3.0, just for that, but if you ask me, the price difference (around 20 euros here) isn't really worth it.

yikes81

at this stage i am not too sure if USB3.0 is worth it, unless you have a SSD in the external case. otherwise i don't think the platters can keep up with the USB3.0 transfer rate.

AeonSoul

I guess they can't, but it's still a big improvement. The trasnfer speed for my hdd is around 50MB/s, against the 6-8 with an USB 2.0 I got.

A friend of mine got his new usb 3.0 external hdd to my place and dam usb 3.0 have amazing speed
I was getting ~60 mb/sec rate on some ~15 gb files

AeonSoul

Haven't had the chance to try that out, but I'm curious to see the speeds of the Mac port (Thunderbolt or something like that, isn't it?)