CPU fan shroud/duct and upgrades for x51-r2

silky28

Hey all,

I recently picked up a used X51-r2 that has an i3-4170, 4gb ram, gtx-750ti 2gb, 240 watt power supply, windows 10 and the Alienware keyboard and mouse. I paid £210 with shipping which seems like a good deal and, I plan on putting the 750ti into an A10-7800 HTPC project I am finishing so that's £50 I no longer have to spend.

I plan to either replace the HDD with an SSD or to replace the DVD with an SSD, upgrade the ram to 8 or 16gb, and to throw in an 1050ti or something in that realm so that I do not need to upgrade PSU.

I have spare 8gb of Samsun DDR3 lying about (M378B5273EBO-YK0) is that compatible? It is 2x4gb PC3L-12800u-11-13-A1. Can I just throw it in and try it or could it damage the motherboard?

I noticed when I opened the case the CPU shroud/duct is missing. I am assuming this is an important piece that ushers the warm air out the back of the case. Can I run the comp without this? Where can I get a replacement (I am in the UK)? could I just find a fan to fit the rear of the case that would blow the warm air out?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

silky28

Update...

The memory worked just fine. As for the temps...not good. I stress tested with Prime95 and temps hit 89* and plateaued there for about 10 minutes before spiking up to 97* before I shut down the test.

Has anyone tried mounting fans to the inside-top of the case? There may be room between the cpu fan and the case and I think it would probably do a better job of cooling than the duct. I am also thinking of installing blower fans, one under the GPU and one where the CPU normally exhausts.

silky28

just fyi...

I am running without shroud. I replaced the stock cooler with a Dynatron K666 in push/pull blowing out through the back of the case. I also have a 50mm fan on the back of the case to help. I replaced the intake fan with a Noctua. With this setup my idle temps have gone down to low-30s and, in some cases, high 20s. During Maximum Intel Burn Test and Prime 95 I no longer see 97 degrees...the most I've seen is 91 with 85 or so being average.

All in all it is a great little cooler, especially for the 20 pounds it cost on ebay.