CPU underclocked itself??

johnhigh

hi,

Just upgraded my m14x r1 with an SSD and windows 7 ultimate 64bit, but the I7 2760qm is stuck on 797MHZ according to CPU Z. i have installed all the lastest drivers and im running BIOS A08. running prime 95 the core speed still does not change. any ideas??

thanks in advance

John

cpu z.jpg

Last edited:

MattyB

Staff member
What happens if you change to High Performance in Power Options in Windows?

johnhigh

nothing, ive set it so it gives the computer 100% on battery and on AC. I think it might be the ac power lead that's the problem now as when its plugged in its not charging, but when its running on battery the CPU speeds up as it should. so I think its not getting enough power from the power lead to charge it and run it at 100%. ive orderd a new one so hopfully this will solve it.

sway

It's your power settings, set it to balanced or performance, when it's on power saver it will stay underclocked. Getting power from your cable wouldn't have anything to do with your cpu, your comp just wouldn't charge.

tappin from the neXus 5

MattyB

Staff member
Also if your machine isn't picking up the power supply properly you can try to do a power drain. It can sometimes work. Helped once or twice for me. Unplug the PSU and remove the battery (a bit annoying in the M14x) then hold the power button down for 30 secs. Then put it all back together. May help with that issue. I dropped my M18x PSU once and it stopped recognising it. Did this trick and it fixed it instantly.

johnhigh

Sway, I changed the power settings to high performance and checked that everything was set to 100%, on AC the CPU stays at 797MHZ no matter what, as soon as I unplug it and its on battery it gets to around 3.3GHZ.

Thanks Matty, ill give it a try

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

did a power drain, didn't work sadly.

sway

Don't think a cord is gonna make a difference here, there something missing.

tappin from the neXus 5

johnhigh

just got new cord today and every thing works fine now, not sure how to close the thread tho...

thanks tho guys

eclipse05

When I connected it to AC adapter from an older Dell Laptop (80W) i found out that CPU is running with 1.2Ghz Clock. After switching to 150W AC adapter it got normal again.