test

Crappy Alienware Support!

BrokeHombre

Im gonna have to vent here for a moment so please bear with me.

I just called ALienware support for an issue Ive been having with my M17xR4, which is posted as another thread.
Its a matter of driver software, I had mentioned to the representative that after installing a new SSD as an upgrade and doing a clean install of WIN 8 PRO, which was also an upgrade from Win 8 basic or home, whichever came preinstalled on it, that my webcam did not function anymore. He proceeds to tell me that because I upgrded the HDD to an SSD that was not purchased through DELL that my warranty is VOIDED!!!! I am really ticked off at that - so its my understanding that performing an upgrade - ANY upgrade will void the warranty?!? Particularly if the upgrade part is not purchased through DELL. THATS CRAP!! SO when I upgrade my OS from basic to PRO, it voids my warranty because it wasnt ourchased through DELL? HE actually refused me for service! I was lividely PO'd, demanding to talk to his supervisor I was placed on hold for more than 15 minutes while he so called 'looked' for his manager. We all know that what he did is just to place me on hold and go about his day knowing that I would eventually hang up. grrrrr!!! Im still ticked.

Thanks for letting me vent - -

AeonSoul

If you ever get in touch with that guy again, call bullshit on him. Upgrading your system DOES NOT void your warranty.

BrokeHombre

I know huh, thats what i tried to tell him, he tried to tell me that because I did not purchase the SSD through Dell that it automatically voided my warranty. I work for a local government at the county level and I am having our attorney review the EULA and other docs in their spare time. They aint heard the end of this one yet. Void my warranty my @$$...lol

Last edited:

MattyB

From what I know, they do not have to give you warranty support on upgrades you do personally but you do not void your warranty on all the other parts in the machine if you are able to return the machine to its original state. Software upgrades definitely shouldn't make any difference to your warranty. Only hardware.

jorlanm

I do believe that Alienware Makes quality laptops...too bad they're tech support does suck...google was way better help

MattyB

I don't think you can expect them to give warranty on any upgrades or mods that you do yourself later. Some general support would be nice though. Over the past 18 months I have developed a good relationship with a Dell Service rep and he gives me advice and assistance with everything I ask him even though every one of my machines has been modded in some way. He's been helping me make aftermarket upgrades to my GF's M14x mSata this week. I had teething issues with my first purchase with Dell but I was patient and now it's been awesome to know I have someone to go to who will help me with my questions within a day.

yikes81

I'm sure even alienware/Dell will hire tools who don't know what customer service is.

You should have gotten his name and employee number.

Tapatalk'n on the Galaxy S4

BrokeHombre

After having 24 hours to cool down a bit (lol) and reading the replies from all of you - i agree with MattyB - I dont expect them to give me support for the upgrades i performed - all I wanted was some input on why I couldnt find software and drivers for my integrated webcam. Of course they (service reps) have a menu/script of questions that they ask and follow, and after hearing that I upgraded by adding an SSD and upgraded the OS - he immediately said that I voided my warranty...Granted I did find the software and drivers that I needed (by using Bing) but the point of the matter is - it was poor customer service. I did read in the warranty that DELL does not cover problems that develop as a result of unauthorized service or problems caused by using accessories, parts, or components not supplied by DELL. This was all in the warranty manual on pg8. In a way I can understand where they are coming from but its still a bunch of crap in my opinion. Anyways..whats done is done - I dont think I will be calling Alienware/DELL support again anytime soon. I am confident that I can find anything I need right here in the AWO Forum...I appreciate this forum and everybodies opinion(s) - -

MattyB

That sounds good. I will only go to Dell with questions that I can't find elsewhere. The people here have a lot more knowledge than the Dell reps.

AeonSoul

Well it is obvious that DELL can not offer warranty coverage for 3rd party components, when you install them yourself, or at least, for me it is. But if they tell you your warranty is void cause you upgraded, then it's total bullshit.

That aside, they HAVE to help you install your drivers from the webcam (which as Matty stated should be included in the chipset drivers), since that's a component they supplied in your system. It's the same if you do a clean install of windows, they just can't tell you your warranty is void cause you reinstalled windows.

JennyM

I tend to talk to the support service guys a lot at Dell, lol! More times than I'd care to count... mostly they're really helpful but if I do get one that responded as yours did, I'd just get his name (so I'd hang up if I got him again) and phone back, there's so many of them that you're unlikely to get the same representative. And don't volunteer any info that u don't have to. I never told them I'd replaced my memory... just in case it confused the issue.
I do like to know what the guys here think first though, cos they know more, then if they think its a hardware issue, i'll phone Dell and tell them what I (this lot) think it is... then they just send a guy out with a new part. Seemples!