test

Current production orders and the impact of Alienware's anouncement

Mustangdave

So I checked in with Dell Canada today and my M18x R2 just hit production. Prior to calling Dell I called a few Alienware authorized re-sellers in case my Dell order was canceled and explore my options. (long story) I talked to BTOtech and Powernotebooks as well and they all said the same thing..... their stock of the current revisions are gone and their distributors as well. So I explained my situation with Dell and that my configuration is no longer available on the Dell.ca website and yet my order just hit production today. So the question is, will I be automatically upgraded to the new equivalent Haswell 4700 NQ chip and graphics card (780m)?

Both companies seemed to indicate that I will most likely get the new revision of the M18xR2 since it is so close to the release of the newer models. He made a few good points one being the 3 week estimated production time BEFORE shipping, another was in the past they have been known to automatically upgrade you to the newer equivalent to prevent the high potential of product returns for the newer released models. They told me to call Dell (since the estimated release to of the new revisions will be in the next few weeks)and try to get a answer from a supervisor on if I will be getting the upgrade but to beware they are under nondisclosure agreements to not say anything, but you may get lucky. I wasn't..... he didn't say anything nor was able to.....

Has anyone had this situation happen to them? If the release happens before and within 30 days of my laptop and its not the m18x R3 I'm returning it for the newer one. I even told Dell that on the phone.

Thought's

MattyB

I did hear stories of the same thing happening last year when the 680's came out. Some people were upgraded automatically. I hope for your sake that you get 780M's! Not sure what will happen though because of the new chassis which is being released today! Crossing my fingers for you though. When I bought my first AW (M17x R3), the R4's were released very soon after. I was a little disappointed but that's life I guess.

DDuB420

Hopefully you do get an upgrade for the CPU/MOBO/GPU

But if you dont...

Honestly, I think you should cancel your order, and wait for the model refresh before its too late.

Thats just my opinion and what I would do.

Mustangdave

The Dell representative told me to call back next week and said I could modify my order if they are starting pre-orders. I'm kind of on the fence hearing that cause it seems to be Dell's policy that once an order is set you have to cancel the order and restart all over again. (Been through that prior to this order) I guess the fate of my order all depends on how soon they are available after tonight's grand announcement.

MattyB

It may be annoying having to cancel your order again but having the chance of getting one of the new beauties (hopefully) would be too much for me to pass up.

Mustangdave

Oh it was MattyB, cancelation number two now, the Dell representative tried to talk me out of it saying my old order was better..... kind of felt like an insult on my intelligence. They put in the request to cancel my M18x R2 order and saved the new configuration to my account. Managed to be cheaper than the last order, by a few hundred dollars than before and still get a year enhanced support added on. They will be calling me after the cancellation order goes through and process the new and FINAL order.
Only regrets is the longer delay time and the new models design isn't as nice (looks wise) as the x series. My setup is in my signature.
Can't wait to receive it and play FFXIV ARR and go nuke crazy on max resolution settings.

Last edited:

MattyB

It's really hard to see exactly what they are going to look like when you have it in your hands. The old design was fantastic and will be hard to beat. I have decided I'm getting one as soon as they are available here! I'll probably only go for the 17 though with a 780M. I have to wait a few more weeks though unfortunately. It will give me some time to do a clearance sale though :D

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

They look really chunky