Damn Gumtree Scammers

yikes81

I have advertised my Alienware 14 for sale on Gumtree, and I have been hit a few times already by scammers.

The emails look something like this ....

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the message, the price is affordable at $1,650 and am happy to proceed with the purchase via PayPal, well i have just gotten the shipment address below, after my re-search the shipping fee via Australian Post or DHL Express is $250 so let me the total cost..

Here is the Shipping address:

Name: Mikel Desmond
Address: B-12-12 vista millenium condo
City : Puchong
State : Selangor
Zip code : 47100
Phone: +60142313965

Kindly send me a paypal Money Request invoice from your paypal account to my email address including your paypal email so i could proceed to the payment asap.. Thanks

ejohnson

I used to get those all the time. They send a email from a spoofed paypal address that says the funds have been sent and that it may take a few days to show in your paypal. Total scam

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Damn...There is a guy on eBay who has a M18xR2 for sale. It's fully loaded and like brand new. Still has some plastic on it. He said he won it at a foreclosure auction for $300.

He has 13 or 14 feedback all 100% but something about his listing just bothered me. So I looked into his feedback more closely. He just joined eBay 8 days ago and all his feedback is from buying items under $20.

Sounds like a setup for a scam IMO.

yikes81

Yeh sounds like it. I assume that you can't pickup the item locally.

Tapatalk'n

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Yeh sounds like it. I assume that you can't pickup the item locally.

Tapatalk'n

He wasn't near me so I didn't even see if he offered it. He also said that he was taking offers and to contact him before you bid. I decided to just pass.

Commy1

I buy and sell online often, but only locally, cash only. No exceptions.
I've had SOO many scams like this. One of the best was from someone in UK presumably, who sent me a fake cheque at 5x the amount I asked, they asked my to send the remaining balance to them and deduct my asking price from the total. Tooootal BS

yikes81

Man. They weren't even trying. That's just insulting.

Tapatalk'n

MattyB

I buy and sell online often, but only locally, cash only. No exceptions.
I've had SOO many scams like this. One of the best was from someone in UK presumably, who sent me a fake cheque at 5x the amount I asked, they asked my to send the remaining balance to them and deduct my asking price from the total. Tooootal BS

That old trick! I feel bad for people who fall for it. Should have sent them a fake cheque back ( not with any goods obviously) just to screw with them.