Damn you Americans and your cheap prices!!

MattyB

Staff member
So I was pricing an M11x today while I was bored at work and I decided to compare the Australian price to US. Both machines were built almost exactly the same with only a small difference in the hard drives (Aus 750GB 7200rpm - US 1TB 5400RPM). The cost here in Oz was $1960.60. The US price was $1349.00. I'm assuming there is extra US sales tax added depending on the state you are in but man that is a big difference. Our dollar is worth more than yours too these days!!

I probably could have flown myself to the US and back to buy my M17x and still had change to buy myself a fancy dinner!

BlackJair

I agree, in México i will sell my R2 in about $1800 Dls, while in USA it cost max $900 Dls... Selling my R2 will pay my new R3, USA sells everything CHEAP!

MattyB

Staff member
I agree, in México i will sell my R2 in about $1800 Dls, while in USA it cost max $900 Dls... Selling my R2 will pay my new R3, USA sells everything CHEAP!
Thats awesome for you!! Free upgrade! Nice.
Maybe I should plan my next holiday for the US. I have enough Qantas Frequent Flyer points for a round trip!

yikes81

So I was pricing an M11x today while I was bored at work and I decided to compare the Australian price to US. Both machines were built almost exactly the same with only a small difference in the hard drives (Aus 750GB 7200rpm - US 1TB 5400RPM). The cost here in Oz was $1960.60. The US price was $1349.00. I'm assuming there is extra US sales tax added depending on the state you are in but man that is a big difference. Our dollar is worth more than yours too these days!!

I probably could have flown myself to the US and back to buy my M17x and still had change to buy myself a fancy dinner!
I blame our current govt and their damn luxury taxes.

Maelstrom

I just calculated the cost of shipping (with FedEx) something from here (U.S.) the Sydney and got $251. So, it's actually cheaper to have it bought and then have someone ship it to Australia.

MattyB

Staff member
What do you think would happen regarding the warranty? I would assume that Dell Australia would not cover it if it was bought overseas.

Maelstrom

I think it would fall under Dell U.S. warranty. Although I don't know how they would react if they found out the laptop was located in Australia.

BlackJair

Nope, if you wanna use the Warranty, you have to go to USA, and then... Send it to DELL, when you want to get it back you must go back to USA or pay international Shipping.

MattyB

Staff member
I thought as much. If it was easy nobody would buy it in Aus.

yikes81

You would think that they would at least offer a limited international warranty. People do move to different countries!

BlackJair

When i was looking after my R2, i asked and that is what i was told, you must send the laptop/desktop from america, or you will be charged for import dutties

Eirreann

I have to admit, there are some advantages to living in this country... if I didn't hate the city where I live currently, I might even be content. (Still miss the UK, though...)

MattyB

Staff member
That cant be true! Nobody could miss the UK!!

Eirreann

That cant be true! Nobody could miss the UK!!
Well I do. Admittedly, my time in Britain is dwarfed in comparison to that spent in Botswana, Africa, but still, I have only fond memories of our house in London (outskirts of the city, of course; would have hated to live in the middle of it!)

even I face the same issue here. Laptops, alienware, apple products are all (much) cheaper in us then here in india :/