test

Dell Inspiron Zino 410 Project

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I picked up a Dell Zino off eBay pretty cheap. I took it apart tonight as I am planning to do some upgrades to it. I'm going to use it as a secondary desktop PC when gaming on my AW or Precision M6600 laptop so I don't have to TAB ALT out of game to do something like check TeamSpeak, look at a game map online, etc. I'm going to hook it up to the HDMI input on my secondary monitor and just switch the input when I want to use the Zino. It will fit perfectly underneath both monitors (See Pic) and will be out of the way.

Stock Specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 P340 Dual Core 2.2GHz
ATI Mobility HD 5450 Discrete Graphics
4GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB Hard Drive
DVD+-RW

The stock Western Digital hard drive is noisy and generates a lot of heat to be in such a small space. I'm used to SSDs I guess. I ordered a 64GB Samsung 830 SSD for it, $79 on sale! I also go this cool mini wireless keyboard/track pad for it.

DSC00400.jpg
DSC00401.jpg
DSC00402.jpg
DSC00403.jpg
DSC00404.jpg
safe_image.jpg

MattyB

Yeah that thing looks pretty small and nifty! You have all the cool gadgets Tommy!

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I just got the Samsung SSD installed. Installing windows now. This VisionTek mini-keyboard/track pad combo is great!

I am charging it so don't mind the cable. It's wireless!

vt-minikb.jpg

DeRon1

Wow Tommy your like the James Bond of PC technology ;)

Where do you find such equipment m8?? I want in

MattyB

That thing is tiny! How easy is it to use? Do you find yourself misspelling often?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Wow Tommy your like the James Bond of PC technology ;)

Where do you find such equipment m8?? I want in

Newegg.com :)

This is the one I got (all black) USB one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823852001

They sell some other models too... Just search for VisionTek Candyboard
My style also comes in a Bluetooth version too.

That thing is tiny! How easy is it to use? Do you find yourself misspelling often?

No, not at all. It feels like typing on the LG EnV phone I had back in 2007.

This kb is backlit too! LOL

MattyB

That's cool then. Just looked like those keys didn't leave much room for error! I have fat fingers :p

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Here is something weird. The Dell Zino originally came with Win 7 Home Premium Edition. The keycode sticker on the unit confirms it. After I installed the new SSD, I use my Dell OEM Win 7 Pro cd that came with my M6600 laptop. I was not prompted to enter a Win 7 keycode and after it was finished installing, it said it was already activated.

I'm really confused...I should of been asked to enter a Win 7 Pro keycode since I was installing it on a machine that came with Win 7 Home. Any ideas?

yikes81

Here is something weird. The Dell Zino originally came with Win 7 Home Premium Edition. The keycode sticker on the unit confirms it. After I installed the new SSD, I use my Dell OEM Win 7 Pro cd that came with my M6600 laptop. I was not prompted to enter a Win 7 keycode and after it was finished installing, it said it was already activated.

I'm really confused...I should of been asked to enter a Win 7 Pro keycode since I was installing it on a machine that came with Win 7 Home. Any ideas?

Maybe its got some keys registered into the Mobo ... (im not even sure how that works), but I have seen some cases like yours due to the hardware. I think it is possible to hardcode windows keys to specific hardware configurations.

DeRon1

I heard of pre activated win7 but don't quite no how its coded onto the hardware ;)

MattyB

The last few times I have reinstalled Windows 7 on my AW's, I haven't had to put in the CD Key. I thought that was weird. I wasn't using CD's which come with the machine either. ie I used my GF's M14x Windows 7 CD for my ALX.

Can you use the Alienware Windows 7 CD as many times as you like or is there a limit?

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
The way it worked for me, I was able to use a Dell OEM Win 7 Pro disc and put it on a Dell computer that originally came with Win 7 Home edition. If this is the case, everyone should just save the money and get Win 7 Home and put Win 7 Pro or Ultimate on it later for free!