Dell is upgrading me!!!

Vegasguy

Hello everyone. I have had a really bad experience with my R-3 that it is being replaced by Dell to a NEW R-4. I was stoked to find out I am being upgraded, I peeked a look at the shipping slip. A little background, I had my 2 GTX460's swapped out for 2 Radeon HD 6950's. Also 6 Gb 1333 Mhz memory to 8 Gb 1600. So this is my current setup

i7 2600 @3.9 GHz
2 Radeon HD 6950's in crossfire
8 Gb 1600 Mhz Kingston DRAM
2TB RAID 0 (2x 1TB SATA 6Gb/s)

What I am getting now is the R-4 with the following upgrades...

Intel Core i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz
8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (better?)
2-1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 - NVIDIA SLI Enabled
1TB RAID 0 (2x 500GB SATA 6Gb/s) Solid State Hybrid

Now my question is not about the obvious. The i7, RAM upgrades are a given (if better brand than Kingston). But I am not sure about the GTX 555's and have no idea what a Solid State Hybrid is. I know what the RAID-0 config is but nreferredard it refered to as such. There isn't a lot of information about the GTX 555's out there since its an OEM from Dell. Can't seem to find out anything about the HDD's either. Anyone have any feedback they can share? I'm not 100% sure i am going to accept the delivery.

Razec

Solid State Hybrids are exactly what it sounds like.

A mix of SSD with HDD.

Essentially you get near SSD performance with an HDD. The caching method is handled by a small SSD controller, so you have fast read and write performance overall.

With a Raid 0 you will get even closer to SSD performance as the striping will obviouly give you better performance lol.

With the GTX555's don't know how they compare to the 6950's but overall I say nvidia is better in terms of quality and general performance than ATI but I do give my hat off to AMD -- Sorry with the shear raw performance of their cards, but avoid them with the horrible drivers.

Vegasguy

Thanks for the heads up Razec! Apparently, the 555's are way inferior to the ati HD 6950's I have now in all benchmarks I could find. I'm waiting on a response from Dell about what to do.

jayhernandez7

Holy cow! Nice! I hope everything works out well with your new rig! Pictures when you get it!