Dell Precision M6600 Mobile Workstation

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a Dell Precision M6600 Laptop yesterday. I got it with just 2GB memory and just one regular 750GB hard drive as I plan to upgrade both myself once it arrives.

Specs with my upgrades....

17.3" UltraSharp™ FHD(1920x1080) PremierColor IPS RGB Anti-Glare LED-backlit Premium display
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Core i7-2760QM
16GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz Memory
AMD FirePro M8900
Harddrive 1 - Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD SATA III (Boot drive)
Harddrive 2 - 750GB 7200rpm HDD (Storage)
Harddrive 3 - 128GB MyDigitalSSD 50mm Bullet Proof mSATA SSD (Special App Drive)

8X DVD+/-RW tray Load
Intel Ultimate-N 6300 WiFi card w/ WiDi technology
375 Bluetooth Module
Light Sensitive Webcam and Noise Cancelling Digital Array Mic
FIPS Compliant Fingerprint Reader and Contactless Smartcard Reader
Backlit Keyboard
EPort/Plus Docking Station

I went for this system because it offered a matte IPS display and I like the eject-able hard drive bay. I may be unloading my M11x in the near future. ;)

Here is a pic of someone else's M6600 with diff specs, but you can see how it all fits. :)

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, I really wanted an IPS display. There is a short list of current model laptops that offer that option.

Lenovo X220 (12.5")
Dell Precision M4600 (15") and M6600 (17")
HP EliteBook 8560w (15") and 8760w (17")
HP Envy (15" model only)
Sony Vaio SA Series (15" model only)

Maybe one more too.... but the list is short. Plus I wanted to docking station too.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. For hard drive #3 I went with a Samsung 128gb 810 series mSATA SSD instead of the mydigital one. I didn't like going with a no name brand Phison SSD controller for storing important data.

AeonSoul

That's a nice machine you got there.
Anyhow, speaking of which I got a question: let's say I want to upgrade my m17x with a SSD. What should I get? What's the difference between SSD SATA 2, SATA 3, mSATA? Should I be looking for anything specific for a laptop or anything fits?

Maelstrom

mSATA is basically SATA III for mobile computers. And basically SATA II reads/writes at 3GB/s and SATA III reads/writes at 6GB/s.

AeonSoul

Yeah I kinda figured that out, just wanted to be sure. So if I want to put an SSD in my m17x do I need to get an mSATA?

BlackJair

Nice laptop, i really need to sell my M17x R2, i want a new R3 with 3D screen...

Too bad DELL doesn't sell it anymore, only AMD GPU's...

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Got my M6600 on Wed. Had some issues with it right out of the box. The trackpad and buttons didn't work. I found the trackpad ribbon cable disconnected under the keyboard. And the right side of the screen bezel is loose. I called dell and they are sending me out a brand new machine.

The IPS display is amazing. I love that it is a matte finish too. No glare!!

mSATA is basically SATA III for mobile computers. And basically SATA II reads/writes at 3GB/s and SATA III reads/writes at 6GB/s.
The mSATA slot in my M6600 is only SATA II. Either way, it's still fast.

Yeah I kinda figured that out, just wanted to be sure. So if I want to put an SSD in my m17x do I need to get an mSATA?
I do not think the M17x has a mSATA slot.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Got my replacement M6600. There was a very tiny bit of paint missing from the inside edge of the screen bezel. I mentioned that to Dell when they called for a follow up and they wanted to send me out a 2nd brand new replacement.

I got that one and there were all kinds of problems with it. I told them I would just keep the 1st replacement. They gave me $200 back. I am very happy with it, and for the final price, even happier.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
Very sad day today.... Was watching a video and got a BSOD. Rebooted...working ok for a few minutes, browser crashed, and another BSOD.

Thought my Win 7 was corrupted or some other software since I was running in safe mode with no issues. So I backed up my files, and started a fresh install of Win 7. Then that failed with another BSOD! Then I remembered Dell's built in diagnostics, so I hit F12 on boot and ran it. It told me I had a memory error. So I pulled out one pair (8GB) and the BSODs were no more.

Will be RMA'ing a pair of Kingston Hyper X memory tomorrow. Glad is wasn't my video card or SSD. I been gaming on this M6600 docked to a 24" Monitor for the last week (4-5 hrs straight sometimes) with no problems whatsoever.

MattyB

Staff member
Man that could have been a lot worse than it was! I glad it looks like it's all sorted now.

AeonSoul

Yeah memory failures are probably the least damaging thing it could happen :D