test

Dell Service and Support

MattyB

I see so many stories of people who have had poor experiences with Dell support. When I was looking around for a new machine last year, I almost didn't go with Alienware from the stories I had seen. Over the past 12 months I have had a few issues with different machines. I have always found them fantastic to deal with.

Yesterday and workmate brought me his M17x R3. He was having problems with the display dropping out when he moved the screen back and forth. I pulled it apart to see if there were any damaged cables going into the mobo or behind the display cover. I couldn't find anything noticeable so I looked up his service tag number online and saw that he had 2 months warranty left. I contacted Dell on his behalf, told them what I had attempted, sent a 20 sec vid of the issue and by the end of the day I got an email back saying that they would send out a new display for him. We work a fair way away from a decent city so they were happy for me to install the new display (it takes about 5 minutes). I got a call from the parts department today saying it had been dispatched and I will receive it in a few days. It wasn't even purchased from Dell but from an authorized reseller and they never even asked for proof of purchase.

You always hear of all the bad stories so I thought I'd share one that I think is pretty good. That is all. You can go about your business.

LevCarty

i know right :)

just received my mouse today
had no problems receiving my rig with accessories

and when i had a few questions they helped my right away :)

AW ROCKS

SpyderBite

You hear about bad experiences frequently because people don't usually take the time to go online and tell the world about what a great customer service experience they had.

But, you'll never be able to shut them up when they've had what they perceived as a bad experience.

Your post is an exception and a delight. Coming from a former support engineer at Microsoft and more recently a Genius at an Apple store. :)

ripperbone

I had a dell rep call me today to tell me he is my personal rep. I asked him if he knows about Alienwares and he was I know about dell computers. I told him I had a alienware and that I will be calling Alienware for help with my system and not him

MattyB

My guy is a Dell service rep but he seems to know everything about all my machines. He has been very helpful so far. I'm not sure how it works in the US. There isn't a separate department for AW here. It's all done through China.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

So, the bloke brought his M17x in to me on Wednesday afternoon then I spent a few hours having a look at it before I emailed Dell, got an email back from them that day, got a call from their parts department Thursday and then before midday today the new display rocks up on my work doorstep which is in a country town in SW Queensland. Less than 48 hours from when I first had a look at the machine! Can't argue with that!! +100 for Dell.

MattyB

So, after discussing the problem originally with the Dell tech, we thought that it must be an LCD issue. After they sent me the part overnight, I installed it but it did not solve the problem unfortunately. The issue started to get worse and it seems like it's at least a GPU failure or maybe mobo. Even though I work in a country town, they have still found someone to come out and look it over properly. I told the Dell guy I was slightly disappointed that I couldn't fix it myself and this is what I got back from him today.

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I feel bad myself for not be able to get the issue fixed for you the first time. The next service shall be coming in with full strength. This will definitely patch things up once and for all.

No Matt, its our job to listen, to guide and to make sure your complains/issues are to be resolved :)

Feel free to make contact if you require any further assistance. I will make sure you are to be heard and assisted.

Not bad if you ask me. I think that service of any type comes down to how you talk to people. If I was aggressive, I may not have got the same level of service. Who knows.

OG1-KENOBI

You hear about bad experiences frequently because people don't usually take the time to go online and tell the world about what a great customer service experience they had.

I always make sure I thank great customer service in person at the time Im receiving it. I worked in a management role for corporate Nissan so I have been installed with knowing what good and shit customer service really is as it was part of my job.

MattyB

Yeah I let him know that i appreciated the service and that I was also mad since it has led me to have 10 AW units in my house!

But, you'll never be able to shut them up when they've had what they perceived as a bad experience.

That is true. Speaking of which some months ago when I was facing a heating problem, I got a guy come to my place within 2-3 days and he fixed it and showed me few 'tricks' and tips. He seemed to be in his mid-late 20s too and had got a friend of his who worked in a bank who took the day off and came with him as he was into computers too and was learning from that guy. Not only did he resolved my problem had a good chat too. I guess I posted this back then here but don't remember.

So by that account so far Dell/AW is on my good side too. Though I agree, calling customer care is crap the first few ppl knew shit before I could get this fellow to come here.

Your post is an exception and a delight. Coming from a former support engineer at Microsoft and more recently a Genius at an Apple store. :)

Wow that's cool!

yikes81

I also have had a good experience with Dell. My issue with the SPDIF port was resolved in a couple of days. Tech was sent out to me and to be on the safe aside they also replaced my speakers with new ones, even though there was nothing wrong with them. They just wanted to be sure.

Sent via Tapatalk

SpyderBite

Experiences with customer service in general will vary because people's expectations are very, very different. Also, 90% of the issues people have with billing, tech support, etc. are because they don't understand something. Rarely is it because something is actually wrong with their bill, electronic device or service. A good customer service rep will educate the customer without sounding patronizing. Especially when it comes to technical services and products.

Top that all off with the Media's misuse of the terms: Hack, Virus, Bug, etc., and you have a million people flooding customer service lines convinced that their computers were hacked, have a virus or they are experiencing a bug.

In the end.. there are people who have legitimate customer service issues that need addressing. But, if you were to remove the criteria above, call centers would house about 20-30 employees on the heaviest shifts at the biggest service providers and manufacturers.

Just something to think about when your google results show a bazillion complaints about a service or product and their horrible support. ;)