Dell Supplying Incorrect Laptop

Hi All

I posted on her a few days ago and posted my setup and yesterday realised that what I ordered was not what I had in fact received!!
I know most people would have checked everything when it arrived but looks like I trusted Dell to supply what I ordered I wont do that again :(
My question is this.

The Dell site now shows the 18 as having a

Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

instead of the

4th Generation Intel Corei7-4900MQ processor (Overlocked, 8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Turbo
Boost)

which is what I currently have but in system properties my processor is listed as a 2.8GHz so I presume that they have made a mistake as I am sure that wont overclock by over 1GHz?

Does anyone know why Dell has done this and is it a step back rather than forwards? Also I have read in other places that you cant overclock because the BIOS is locked down is this also correct on the current 18 laptops?

Regards

Hi All

I posted on her a few days ago and posted my setup and yesterday realised that what I ordered was not what I had in fact received!!
I know most people would have checked everything when it arrived but looks like I trusted Dell to supply what I ordered I wont do that again :(
My question is this.

The Dell site now shows the 18 as having a

Intel® Core™ i7-4800MQ Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

instead of the

4th Generation Intel Corei7-4900MQ processor (Overlocked, 8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Turbo
Boost)

which is what I currently have but in system properties my processor is listed as a 2.8GHz so I presume that they have made a mistake as I am sure that wont overclock by over 1GHz?

Does anyone know why Dell has done this and is it a step back rather than forwards? Also I have read in other places that you cant overclock because the BIOS is locked down is this also correct on the current 18 laptops?

Regards

system properties doesn't give you your exact cpu speed. for isntance my processor is a 4930MX running at around 3.9ghz. in system properties, device manager it says its @ 3.0ghz.

Download CPU-Z and it will show you your exact information.
you can get it pretty much anywhere ..try here.http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

The 4900MQ is nominally rated at 2.80 Ghz but it can speed itself up in turbo boost mode to 3.80 Ghz when under more load. In fact Alienware have overclocked it so that turbo boost mode can give up to 4 Ghz. I've seen task manager report speeds of 3.95 Ghz when running a game or doing an AV scan. The anount of boost depends on the number if cou cores in use and the temperature the processor is currently running at. The figure of 2.80 is just part of the processor's self-description to Windows and means little really.

By the way OP, nice one on getting that "upgrade" free of charge! :) And welcome to the forum :)

shankc

Dec 26, 2012
UnitedKingdom
The bios have been locked due to overheating problems with the 4th gen chips but I think they are working on it. As for them supplying the wrong laptop you want to check that they will still honour your warranty. They should do as it was their mistake but I would definitely check and welcome

Last edited:
Hi Sarah

Thanks for the info, so I presume that the CPU model I have currently got is better than what Dell are offering presently?

Shankkc

They want me to return my laptop and then go through the process again but I could do without the hassle but want the better laptop, in 2 minds about what to do but overall changing the 770's for 780's would be a pain I expect so myabe its just go with what Dell suggest.

Dell have supplied you with a better processor than what you ordered. Alienware/Dell overclock the 4900MQ in the 17 and 18 (and 4930MX) to make it faster than the stock factory clock speed. Aside from the overclock, your processor is the same as any i7 4900MQ. You can change the overclocking options in the bios for the 4900 but not the 4930 (due to heat issues) so in fact, you have the fastest cpu that Dell supply in an Alienware laptop right now :)

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Correction, the 4930MX in the 17 and 18 is not overclocked at all. It runs at 3.0 Ghz with turbo boost to 3.9 and cannot be overclocked due to thermal problems. Dell have locked the overclocking options out if you have the 4930. If you have the 4900 then you can tweak the settings in the bios :)