Dell U2913WM Monitor

MattyB

Ordering one of these tomorrow! :D 2560x1080

dell-u2913wm-overview1.jpg

[video=youtube;8iJwZSW454U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8iJwZSW454U[/video]

Going to have to sell my AW2310's though or maybe just 1

yikes81

I really want the Asus PB278Q IPS monitor 2560x1440 res.

I like the monitor you are getting too, but I can't afford it :mad: the Asus is about $600.

Tapatalk'n

MattyB

I was going to go for the monitor that Sway suggested which is a 27 inch 2560x1440 but I just really like the look of the 29 inch wide screen. It's only $399.
Have you seen the one Sway has mentioned before? It's only about $315AU. Great deal!

MattyB

It's PLS though. Not sure what difference that makes.

yikes81

Oh ok. I know this monitor. It's very wide. Not sure how it will affect gaming.

PLS is just a Samsung tech. It's supposed to rival the IPS tech.

I can't remember sway's suggestion. But I think it was some China or Taiwan brand right.

Tapatalk'n

MattyB

Yeah. Made from Samsung panels which didn't quite make the cut.

yikes81

Apparently the USB3.0 ports sometimes only work as USB2.0. Not sure if this has been fixed. Also movies can look bad if you watch in full screen.

Tapatalk'n

sway

That's really wide for gaming, movies would look sweet but not gaming. Plus 1080p on a 29" monitor is icky, you sit close to a monitor so it wouldn't look as good as 1440p.

tappin from the Nexus 4

sway

Last edited:

ejohnson

Always wanted one of those monitors, but still cant seem to pry my hands away from my optx lcds.

sway

I was fixing to order 3 of these but a member on another form did benches with 3 all at 120hz. He needed 4 titans with his 3890k processor to get decent fps on most games, I'm not buying 4k in gpus, so I'll stick with one.

tappin from the Nexus 4

yikes81

I just read the reviews, and the biggest seller for me is still the Asus. It has the best colour accuracy of the 3 monitors. If I wasn't so bent on colour accuracy, I would definitely get the QNIX.

Tapatalk'n

Last edited:

MattyB

That's really wide for gaming, movies would look sweet but not gaming. Plus 1080p on a 29" monitor is icky, you sit close to a monitor so it wouldn't look as good as 1440p.

tappin from the Nexus 4

The display is still only 11.17 inches high so why would the 1080 in this look any worse than other monitors @ 11 inches? I would understand if the display was 13-14 inches high. I don't really know much about monitor resolutions to be honest.

I agree that the 1440 is obviously a superior resolution. I'm somewhat blind anyway so everything is a little blurry to me most of the time.

I understand that most games are set to run at 16:9 so 21:9 will interesting. I will probably have some space left over unless I stretch the display to fit. I don't just game though. At the end of the day I am getting it at a pretty cheap price so if I don't like it I can just flip it again. Down here they sell new at Dell for $619. This one is brand new for $399. Nothing to lose! I'm probably going to fix this one to the wall behind my desk to give me my desk space back. Having 2 monitors on it cramps things a little.

I'm actually wondering if I will be able to keep one of my Optx monitors for gaming and have the 2913 set up as my second screen for everything else.......

sway

The display is still only 11.17 inches high so why would the 1080 in this look any worse than other monitors @ 11 inches? I would understand if the display was 13-14 inches high. I don't really know much about monitor resolutions to be honest.

I agree that the 1440 is obviously a superior resolution. I'm somewhat blind anyway so everything is a little blurry to me most of the time.

I understand that most games are set to run at 16:9 so 21:9 will interesting. I will probably have some space left over unless I stretch the display to fit. I don't just game though. At the end of the day I am getting it at a pretty cheap price so if I don't like it I can just flip it again. Down here they sell new at Dell for $619. This one is brand new for $399. Nothing to lose! I'm probably going to fix this one to the wall behind my desk to give me my desk space back. Having 2 monitors on it cramps things a little.

I'm actually wondering if I will be able to keep one of my Optx monitors for gaming and have the 2913 set up as my second screen for everything else.......

You sit close to monitors, so you see everything, especially on huge 1080p monitors. You'll see pixels, imperfections, etc... so it's different than using a smaller 1080p screen bc it's more condensed. That's like sitting just a few feet from my 3d plasma in my living room, it looks like total crap up close, I mean crap. I just walked in best buy yesterday looking at their monitors and saw a 27" ips, the colors looks real good, but the picture was horrible imo just bc I could see everything. You don't really understand until you use 1440p. It's 80 percent more pixels than 1080p. The colors are mind blowing, you can't see imperfections or pixels, I couldn't go back to anything else.

On a side note, if you haven't see a 4k tv, your jaw will hit the floor. That's ALMOST what one of these 1440p monitors look like, except the tv's just are on another level.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Last edited:

yikes81

4k tv's are cool. Out of curiosity how many movies are filmed in 21:9? I thought games would handle the res better than movies.

Tapatalk'n

MattyB

I guess I'll be the test subject to see how it all goes. Just as long as my Dell guy calls me back today. I sent him an email yesterday and apparently he tried calling me at 10pm last night while I was dreaming sweet dreams.
I won't be watching movies on it. It just looks super sexy and I can picture it attached to my wall and that thought makes me feel all warm inside :D I also won't be hooking multiple ones together.

sway

4k tv's are cool. Out of curiosity how many movies are filmed in 21:9? I thought games would handle the res better than movies.

Tapatalk'n

Movies are made for widescreens, that's why some have those black bars. Get this wide monitor and no black bars on top and bottom.

It bothers me they call them 4k tv's though, it's not technically correct bc it's not at 4000 pixels or whatever, it's only like 3650, so they rounded up. We don't call 1080p, 1100k, our round up to 2k. Makes no since to me.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Last edited:

yikes81

It bothers me they call them 4k tv's though, it's not technically correct bc it's not at 4000 pixels or whatever, it's only like 3650, so they rounded up. We don't call 1080p, 1100k, our round up to 2k. Makes no since to me.

tappin from the Nexus 4

Concur with you there. I suppose they will do the same with 8k TV's.

Tapatalk'n

MattyB

Seems pretty good for most games. All the ones I tend to play anyway

[video=youtube;Rf7FcIgkgDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Rf7FcIgkgDY[/video]

MattyB

It arrived today! It is beautiful. I gave Borderlands 2 a quick go and it looks amazing. Still need to look through my games to see which ones have the right resolution options.

photo.jpg
photo(1).jpg