Design fault on M14x cause of overheating

ecbritz

I called in a technician to dismantle my M14x, in search of the cause of serious overheating.

After taking almost everything apart, the technician pulled a thick pad of compacted dust, even cat hair, from the space between the fan and the heat sink. I first thought it might be a kind of felt filter, meant to clean the air flowing over the CPU and GPU. But no, it was compressed dirt and dust stopping the flow of air. The fan itself had dirt sticking to the blades and the inside of its casing. We had to scrape it off with a tiny blade, then vacuum the fan and wipe the casing clean. Even in a perfectly clean room, this piling-up of dirt is inevitable over time.

After a costly operation lasting more than an hour, with one small screw and one clip not finding their way back into the restored assembly, the technician showed me how my other laptop, a Lenovo Y580, was designed so that the problem of fan and heat sink clogging could be solved in minutes. A few screws removed from a special cover, the cover lifted, and that was it: you could clean your fan and heat sink.

The M14x runs hot, being a gaming computer, and has a high performance Intel i7 processor like the Lenovo Y580. Why does it not allow easy access to its fan and heat sink, seeing that these parts need regular service to prevent the machine from being cooked? Its a simple but serious design fault.

shankc

They have to make extra money sum how if they made it that easy everyone would do it themselves. 1 less thing a technician can take your money for if your out of warranty and too afraid to do it yourself

ecbritz

I went to take a look at the very latest version of the Alienware 14 today. It was released last month in China. Although most new models of probably most computers are manufactured here, local shops usually don't get them as early as American shops do, and they cost at least 20% more than in America, despite the shipping costs and taxes involved in exporting to America. Not sure why. The latest Alienware 14 has a completely redesigned back panel, allowing easy removal and maximum air intake. I could of course not remove the back panel in the shop, but I could see the fan and its position in the assembly of parts clearly through the air intake grid. The cooling gear inside the computer is even lighted up. It would seem that I might be right in assuming a design fault in the Alienware M14 x.