test

Display Issue, Need help!

Kash6

So randomly the other night I closed my laptop as usual before going to sleep, only to wake up the next morning with my screen extremely pixelated, as seen in the screenshots below. At first the laptop was saying I had no display drivers, so I installed those, didnt help. Next I completely deleted the drivers, used DriverSweeper, and Ccleaner to make sure they were clear, then reinstalled the drivers from scratch, didnt help. Ive tried to disable Crossfire, didnt help. Also I have tried to make sure the graphics cards were completely inserted, which they were, and obviously again, not helping. Originally my dxdiag was claiming that no graphics cards were present, despite my device manager saying the opposite, I'm doubting its a physical problem seeing as how I have 2 graphics cards and I highly doubt they would both take a shit at the exact same time overnight. I am officially out of ideas, please help!

I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit as ultimate only comes in 64). My graphics cards are 2x Radeon HD 4870s.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

MattyB

Have you tried plugging in an external display to see what happens? If the display looks fine on that then you may have a screen issue on your lappy. It will help remove that from being a possibility anyway.

Kash6

Yea ive tried that already, both displays have the pixelation. Its odd though because i took a screenshot with the laptop, then sent the picture to another computer to look at, and it looks like laptop display is perfectly fine with no pixelation at all.

MattyB

Yeah that's a strange one. I'm in the middle of a bizarre display issue too. This ones display goes dead when you move the screen back and forth. I have just put a brand new screen in it with all new wires but it's still happening. The base doesn't move at all. It's really starting to piss me off.

Rapid_Sausage

taking a print screen doesn't actually capture what you're looking at directly, it takes it from the system. (if that makes any sense)

anyway, if both displays do this then it's most likely not the monitor, try updating the BIOS (check manufacturer support page).
if that doesn't work, try switching places of the GPUs.

Last edited:

BlackJair

This just happened to a friend, maybe the Disply cord unplugged when you closed the laptop. Try checking on that!

DDuB420

When you say youve disabled crossfire
Did you try to disable both graphics cards and try to run of the CPU's iGPU?

That would definitely remove any GPU issues off the table .

If you did that already, Im with blackjair on the Display cable. Hopefully it didnt pull out slightly from the back of the display.
Its a pain to get at that connector. The end thats attached to the mobo, not so bad.

ripperbone

my old dell D630 did that. I replaced the display cable and still did it. found out it was the inverter.

Kash6

Thanks for all the responses. I previously tried to clean the graphics cards when I made sure they were completely connected. Ill try disabling both my cards, I only tried disabling one the other day and it caused my screen to just go black, but ill give both at the same time a try. I'll also take it apart again and check the monitor cable, id be quite angry if thats the cause after all the trial and error I've done with the software haha. Ill post my findings later, hopefully with success!

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Actually on second thought, would a loose monitor cable even be the problem? Wouldnt the external monitor still be fine even if the laptops display had a slightly loose cable?

DDuB420

Yea that makes sense, when you think about it.
Try running on igpu only see if it improves.

Dagger133

Try to stay tuned with the latest gpu driver. I always update my drivers. They really fix and improve things you know... For ex. Before updating my driver i had big problems while playing SCP CB. But now it works perfectly!