Drivers and Software Needed

BrokeHombre

Hey everyone -
I recently acquired an Area51 m9750 laptop from a vacated apartment. Had to replace the video card and AC adapter. The rig has Vista Home Premium installed on it and I am going to wipe it and install Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate 64 bit. I have been trying to locate drivers and software for the rig but have been unsuccessful in my attempts. I'm sure Win7 will find most of the base drivers, but what about things that are specific to an Alienware rig? Like Alienware Command Center or Respawn...things like that. I have posted this on the M17x R4 forum as well .. any help or info will be greatly appreciated!! There are pics of the rig on the other post if you wanna see it.

BrokeHombre

thanks for the link - I already have that. Windows 7 has the majority of those drivers, I am mainly looking for any Alienware branded software that applies to the m9750 laptop...otherwise its just another win7 machine...

BrokeHombre

What specific software are you looking for?

Mianly the Alienware software like the command center, alien autopsy, A BIOS update especially - I dont believe I need the AlienFX software as this rig doesnt look like it has the lighted keyboard...

BrokeHombre

Try going here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-m14x-r2/diagnose

I just chose the m14x as an example. You'll probably have to enter a service code (if you have it) or, try letting the site detect your laptop and it should pop up a list of appropriate Alienware software to install. Hth.
Cool thanks...I'll see what I can come up with. This laptop was prior to Dell acquiring Alienware so there is no service code like dell uses. It would be cool to learn if software that is for an M17x-r2 (just an example) is compatible with the m9750...being that it is an older laptop its hard to say though..

BrokeHombre

Hmm. Well...

Try this link, then.

http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Support_Area.aspx

It's suppsedly intended for "customers with an Alienware system prior to September 2009 which doesn't have a service tag included on the system."

Hope that helps.
Thanks! There are a couple of drivers on there i can use,,,there is one for an on screen display but it says its for the 15" display,,you think it wouold work with the 17" display? Dont know what the diff would be, but I am gonna give it a shot and see what happens...Gonna do all this - this weekend...

ZWM_Alien

Well, this is what I did when tracking down drivers for the m17x I built:

1) Went to the Dell Support page, let the software scan the laptop for the current configuration. This is because I put in a lot of parts that were different than what was shown in the configuration for the Service Tag. I then took notes of what was found.

2) Downloaded some of the Dell drivers, went to Intel for others.

3) Install, install, install. Dell has a list of the order to install drivers in to minimize conflicts. Since these laptops can get terribly glitchy, nice as they are, any bit of advice helps.

4) To minimize any problems with the display, I would try to track down the non-branded drivers. Not sure how to do that, but since I'm tracking down the drivers for my own system, I'll post my findings when successful.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

I'm back. Took the back off of the lid to have a look, found out that I have a Samsung WUXGA LTN071CT11 screen. No luck locating any drivers as of yet.

I'd be careful about using the 15" driver for the 17" one. There may be some differences that will make it glitch and give you a headache.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

And another thing...

Found a post describing an uber-clean re-install of software and drivers. This is VERY detailed and involves the M17xR2, but the section on driver installation sequence is very useful and could be applied to what you're planning to do this weekend:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/full-nuclear-option-wipe-and-rebuild-of-your-m17x-r2-a-full-detailed-description.541378/#post6978195

There are some useful gems to be mined from this. Hope it helps you to have a relatively quick and painless installation party. :)

Last edited:

BrokeHombre

Finally was able to get OS loaded - I ended up installing WIn8 Enterprise x64 - but thats all I have done so far. Working more on it this week. Will keep posting as I go along...

Coz

I have the original respawn disc that came with my M9750. I could do you a copy if you are still struggling?

I also need help. The GPU in my m9750 has given up a second time after reflowing. I don't suppose anyone knows of a suitable upgrade for the Nvidia geoforce 8700M GT512MB cards. I'm not sure if it is the master or daughter that has gone, but probably best to swap both if it is possible to get hold of an upgrade? Any help on this would be most appreciated as my M9750 has been propped up under my desk for a year now and I cannot afford to buy a newer replacement. :)

Mauricio

I have the original respawn disc that came with my M9750. I could do you a copy if you are still struggling?

I also need help. The GPU in my m9750 has given up a second time after reflowing. I don't suppose anyone knows of a suitable upgrade for the Nvidia geoforce 8700M GT512MB cards. I'm not sure if it is the master or daughter that has gone, but probably best to swap both if it is possible to get hold of an upgrade? Any help on this would be most appreciated as my M9750 has been propped up under my desk for a year now and I cannot afford to buy a newer replacement. :)
Hi I need and have been searching for those can you give me please a copy or sell it to me? maybe upload to google drive, mega, mediafire, etc. so I can get it. Thanks :D

Coz

Hi All,

I'm really sorry for the huge delay in responding to your posts. I was alerted to the new site layout and luckily checked my posts and luckily was reminded about this thread.

I have just uploaded the files from the Area-51 m9750 Support disc to my Dropbox account and have created a link to this below. You may need to wait a little while as they are in the process of uploading. Please could you all let me know once you have downloaded the files so that I can remove them as I don't have a lot of storage space on there.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Kind regards
Coz :)

Last edited: