Dual Displays on M14x

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Can the M14x support dual monitors? (not including its own display)

Org

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
You must have Super Google, because I didn't find anything. Lol. I may sell my M11x and go for the M14x. :).

Org

Soon everyone will learn to fear my Google skills.

<3 google it's the only search engine I use.

Commy1

Sweet, good to know, I've had idea's for setting up my M14x as a desktop/type computer with multiple displays. Mostly likely going to set up an HDMI cord or something so I can watch movies/browse on my TV.

xGeorgexBP

I'll post up a picture soon of hooking my Alienware m14x r2 to three monitors o_O (I haven't tried it yet, but I'll set it up at work).

infamous

The r1 can have 2 external displays AND the internal. For some reason, according to a dell official on the Facebook page, the r2 van only have 2 TOTAL. 2 EXTERNAL, no INTERNAL. I don't get why it doesn't tho.

xGeorgexBP

I was unable to do so because you're right infamous, it can't. The driver doesn't support this feature yet, but hopefully it will be by the next update.

Commy1

Anyone doing this, how much strain goes on the GPU? Can you set 1 display to be handled with the integrated and the other GPU? I'm concerned with my framerate.. I need to have between 45-60 when I play competitively.

yikes81

I am pretty sure that the GPU's now a days can handle 3 displays with no issues. I remember running the Nvidia 7900GT on 3 displays. And that was when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Maelstrom

I'm using two displays right now and the GPU isn't even being used it's all on the integrated graphics. I'm not having any problems getting 60FPS on both screens at the same time either.

yikes81

Yeh, so no issues it seems. I think the strain will happen if you are playing something like BF3 on all screens at ultra.

Maelstrom

Yeah, I did try to play two games at once on both screens at max settings (League and Zoo Tycoon 2) and got some FPS drops, but that's expected. And it's not like you can really play two games at once anyway. All I ended up doing was checking stuff in Tycoon when ever I died.