Dying power supply or normal?

Rapid_Sausage

I have an M17x R4 for over 2 years now and havent had any power related issues so far.

But lately my power adapter box has been creating a very faint ticking sound, and the ticks increase the more load the laptop is under (ex gaming).

So far i've tried different power sockets and tried it when it was unplugged from the laptop but the ticking is still there.

Now, i'm not sure if this ticking existed before as i've never noticed it, for all i know it could've always been like that, but i looked it up on the internet and people say that when power adapters do clicks/ticks it usually means it is dying.

So what should i do here? The thing is out of warranty, and i dont want to spend so much money on a new power unit if it's unnecessary.

Advice??, opinions??

BrokeHombre

Know anyone else who has an M17 like yours? Just borrow theirs and see if it does the same thing...

BrokeHombre

No one i know has an M17x, that's why i'm asking here.

note: i should mention that i have the 240V adapter not the 180 one.

Same as I do - I had issues with mine shortly after I got my rig. Had to have it replaced under warranty. Sorry I cant help much more.
Good LucK!

Snowmerc

I would keep an eye on the power icon, at some point you might find the icon showing its plugged in but not charging. I have 2 M17R3 which both needed new power supplies as the plug in near the laptop as it gets the most ware back and forth gets cracked and wire is frail. we ended up going on eBay and found a replacement was less than $100 and all was fixed.
Just a thought