Factors to consider

Gravito

When it comes to buying a laptop, particularly of Alienware, what factors do you think you should consider? I know the main factors are the design, performance, and price. But what else?

Eirreann

Well if you favour mobility you need to consider size and weight, because believe me, the M17x and the M18x are MASSIVE and weight a TONNE! My cousin has an M18x and he can hardly carry it in his backpack for extended periods of time!

JohnW

That is a good point from Eirreann. M18x with its 18.4" screen is massive. Carrying it is more like carrying a small flat television than carrying a laptop. It performs well though.

ThatOldGuy

Performance price ratio. When buying anything from alienware, don't just add upgrades. Upgrade things you think you can't upgrade later, but you will always be able to upgrade Ram, SSD, HDD, and even the graphics cards and processor on the m17x and m18x for much cheaper on your own. Note: Ram and HDD/SSD are easiest to upgrade on your own, where graphics and some models that have socket CPUs require extensive knowledge and confidence to take the laptop apart.

Also consider what you want to use it for. If you like to game with great FPS but don't require that everything is maxed out on the latest and most demanding games, then the most expensive models (m17x, and m18x) are probably not for you. Instead go with the smaller cheaper models.

Gogreen

I think it depends on what you would use the laptop for, like what TOG said. A laptop for playing games would require higher specs than a laptop for working with documents would.

Eirreann

I think it depends on what you would use the laptop for, like what TOG said. A laptop for playing games would require higher specs than a laptop for working with documents would.
Haha, no kidding! But all of the Alienware laptops have surprisingly good specs, and I am still yet to see a laptop as small at the M11x perform as well as it does!

Alligator

Yeah, I agree that all Alienware laptops have good specs. Their products are all about design and performance. An Alienware user would expect his computer to do more than just processing documents.

yikes81

I included bragging rights in my considerations. "I have an Alienware and you don't ... nya nya nya nya nya"

Eirreann

I thought you were singing the nyan song! xD
Haha, the same thought came to my head! Then Morfar's (or is it "Morefar"?) walkthrough of "The Dark Room" mod for Amnesia came to mind, and I fell off of my chair laughing, haha!