Fan Noise

EMT911inWI

I know they put out an updated BIOS that addressed some of the excessive fan noise, but have any of you found any additional ways to quiet down this little turbo jet? If I'm playing any graphic intensive game this thing sounds like it's going to take off. I know it's the nature of the beast but even just a little bit quieter would help.

Thoughts? Comments?

EMT911inWI

Maelstrom

I just put some headphones on... Honestly though, I like having the large fan noise so that I know that it's working.

Dantheman221

What are the temps saying? Usually, the fans turn on when the temps go too high. Did you re-paste?

Commy1

I have headphones but this little laptop does indeed sound like it's cooled with a blow dryer lol.. I don't know of another way other than going into the BIOS and changing the fan speed.

Maelstrom

I'm afraid to change the fan speed for fear of causing it to overheat. The fan is usually at half power most of the time anyway except when I'm gaming in which I have headphones on anyway. I have found that raising the whole laptop allows the fan to run slower since it has better air flow.

EMT911inWI

What are the temps saying? Usually, the fans turn on when the temps go too high. Did you re-paste?
I haven't...been thinking about doing it though. How difficult was it to take the machine apart? Temps appear to be normal...just when running any video intesive game the fan goes out of control.

If your adventurous enough you can try the unlocked bios here: http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Unlocked-Alienware-M14x-BIOS-A05-unlocking-the-hidden-menus
and see if they have fan control.
I think I'll give one of these a shot as well, I've always been known to tinker with the BIOS so I'm comfortable playing around..what's the worst that can happen.. :cool:

ThatOldGuy

I think I'll give one of these a shot as well, I've always been known to tinker with the BIOS so I'm comfortable playing around..what's the worst that can happen.. :cool:
Tell us how it works out. The same author has one for the m11x and m17x as well, and I might be inclined to give the mod a shot if I hear good things

bettadenu

I can imagine it being annoying especially when you´re on your laptop in company of others, are you sure the BIOS update didn´t fix it?

dnvr.dsz

atleast yours doesn't act like mine.... coz mine starts making noise even when i'm browsing some of the website....lol what could be worst :mad:

Dantheman221

You cant do anything about it. Its a design fault that alienware overlooked in the creation of this m15x's "successor". If they woulda sticked to the m15x and just updated the mobo, we would all be happy!

Maelstrom

Ok, so I haven't been having trouble with the fan noise since I usually have music on or are using headphones while playing a game. But recently the fan has been making a high pitched "chirping" noise at almost all speeds. Anyone know what to do to fix it?

EMT911inWI

Ok, so I haven't been having trouble with the fan noise since I usually have music on or are using headphones while playing a game. But recently the fan has been making a high pitched "chirping" noise at almost all speeds. Anyone know what to do to fix it?
I haven't experienced the high pitch "chirping" noise. I would start with taking a can of compressed air and blowing it out, typically those types of sounds either come from something unblalancing the fan itself. Believe it or not a little dust buildup will cause it to become unbalanced. If that doesn't fix it let me know, we can explore some further options.

Maelstrom

Ok, so I cleaned out the fan after I turned it off for the night and went to sleep. I got woken up an hour later from hearing the chirping noise again and I discovered a cricket on my window seal -_-. The way the cricket was timing it's chirps matched the fan when it sped up or slowed down. At least I got the fan cleaned even if there wasn't an actual problem with it.

EMT911inWI

Ok, so I cleaned out the fan after I turned it off for the night and went to sleep. I got woken up an hour later from hearing the chirping noise again and I discovered a cricket on my window seal -_-. The way the cricket was timing it's chirps matched the fan when it sped up or slowed down. At least I got the fan cleaned even if there wasn't an actual problem with it.
LOL!!

dnvr.dsz

TROLOLOL xD that's a awesome cricket lol might be a musical one coz it sync'd with the fan xD

HerrKaputt

You cant do anything about it. Its a design fault that alienware overlooked in the creation of this m15x's "successor". If they woulda sticked to the m15x and just updated the mobo, we would all be happy!
Could you explain this a little bit more? I'm thinking about buying an M14x. Is the cooling system flawed?

Maelstrom

Could you explain this a little bit more? I'm thinking about buying an M14x. Is the cooling system flawed?
No, the cooling system works pretty well it's just makes more noise when playing intense games than other laptops.