test

Fan Upgrade?

cameronpalte

I've heard the fan on the new alienware is loud, however, I want to be able to play games and such while having the fan remain quiet or minimally quiet. So does anyone know a cheap and effective way to decrease the fan noise (i.e. $75 or less)?

JQuick

I could be wrong, but aside from normal ways to cool laptops. I doubt anything is specifically available as the 14 is still relatively new.

Just keep it on flat and well ventilated surface.

also change the paste of the cpu with a better one
the fann will kick in less since its mainly the cpu that creates the heat

Commy1

It's been my experience that Alienware uses what equates to tooth paste instead of thermal paste.
I haven't seen take down video's or know much about the new M14, if it's like the M14x then the last screw to remove in the entire machine is the one to remove the heatsinks to replace the thermal compound. This would be the first step I would take in reducing the fan noise. The next would be to pick up a cooling pad, as virtually everyone on this forum will recommend, the Cooler Master U3 is probably the best option in terms of quality and price.

Too bad Noctua doesn't make the fans for AW, that'd be pretty sweet.

McKillinTime

A water cooling system would be nice too. I agree the coll pad will help some but I'm interested in the "toothpaste" thing.

DrBones

Its possible to disable the fan via systematically. Buy a cooling pad. Its very helpful if your into long gaming sessions.