Finger on the button..

EMT911inWI

Soooo I was able to sell my old home PC and was able to get pretty much exactly what I need to move forward with the purchase of the X51 as a complete replacement for my current desktop setup. I'm a little apprehensive though at this point and was hoping to get some more feedback from those of you who have the unit in hand.

1)How is working?

2)Any heat problems?

3)Is it noisy?

4)What is average FPS in games? (MW3, WoW, SWTOR, etc..)

5)Is it worth the $1,200 dollars?

6)Has anyone upgraded to SSD drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EMT911inWI (aka Sniper)

Eirreann

I don't personally own one but I've had quite a bit of interaction with people who do, so I'll do my best to answer your questions:
1) It works great! For it's size and price point, it is a very able PC!
2)There are no heat problems, primarily because the power supply is on the outside of the case.
3)Well, kind of... but not annoyingly so. If you have the volume up the sound of the fans are easy to ignore, and if you are using earphones it is barely audible.
4)Depends on the game, primarily, but on MW3, you can probably churn out 40-60 fps on Ultra with AA set to x4 at 1080p. WoW and SWTOR should be a piece of cake for this system!
5)This is really a matter of opinion... it may be a better idea to go for the $1000 configuration, because the video card doesn't need the Intel Core i7, and you won't see any difference in performance. However if you plan on upgrading in the future you may want to stick with the i7.
6)I have heard of one instance where someone tried to upgrade with an SSD, and as I recall there were some issues... I don't know if that's always the case, though, so you should probaby wait for someone else to confirm/deny that.

EMT911inWI

Thanks Eirreann..can you shed a little more light on the I7 though. I'm afraid that I'll see some bottleknecking or is the I7 just overkill? And as far as upgrading goes..I would imagine that I WOULD want to upgrade the GPU in the future, so in that case you would recommend the I7 then?

Eirreann

Thanks Eirreann..can you shed a little more light on the I7 though. I'm afraid that I'll see some bottleknecking or is the I7 just overkill? And as far as upgrading goes..I would imagine that I WOULD want to upgrade the GPU in the future, so in that case you would recommend the I7 then?
The thing is that processors are waaaaay ahead of other hardware as far as power. The Intel Core i7 is more than you need for gaming at the moment, however as video cards progress they will tax more and more on the processor. At the moment, the i5 processor will hold you through for a good long while, but if you wanted to be future-cautious and are willing to pay the extra $200 I would recommend going for the i7. I don't think that it is totally necessary because since the x51 has such a small power supply you probably couldn't upgrade to a high-CPU requiring video card anyway.

VagrantXeth

I have the i7 model and I can tell you that Eirreann is spot on with everything he said. As for springing for the i7 model, I know it has the 330W PSU (don't know what PSU the i5 model has) but coupled with the higher CPU, you would do well to ensure you are futureproofed, that is why I selected it.

Eirreann

I have the i7 model and I can tell you that Eirreann is spot on with everything he said. As for springing for the i7 model, I know it has the 330W PSU (don't know what PSU the i5 model has) but coupled with the higher CPU, you would do well to ensure you are futureproofed, that is why I selected it.
It's the same PSU with both the i5 ($1000 model) and the i7... I think. The Alienware website didn't have the courtesy of being specific... But since the $1000 model is sporting the GTX 555, it must have the 330W PSU because the 240W wouldn't be able to handle the GTX 555.

VagrantXeth

That's true, I still think you should go for the i7 model if you can spare the coin.

dnvr.dsz

Picky,Picky ???.....lol google'd it and found some fictional character xD

daxmagex

Not sure if you still need this, but here it is.

1)How is working?
It's actually pretty good. No problems with it so far. Only problem is that the case takes a bit of effort to open up and the LEDs on the side panel which are connected to computer are very tight.

2)Any heat problems?
Gets pretty hot if you feel the exhaust fan. No signs of overheating for me though.

3)Is it noisy?
When surfing web it's noise level is about same as dragging a pencil over a piece of paper.

4)What is average FPS in games? (MW3, WoW, SWTOR, etc..)
MW3 has steady 50 fps at high settings for me.
LoL has a fps of 100+ at all max settings 1920 - 1280

5)Is it worth the $1,200 dollars?
Parts are worth around 800 - 1k for the high end one. I guess paying around 300 for the brand name and size is worth it.

6)Has anyone upgraded to SSD drive?
It's possible. I'm planning to add on a SSD drive on mine though. Just need to know if the power supply and other factors such as space and motherboard would stop me from doing so.

EMT911inWI

Well I was REALLLLY close and then I decided to buy a motorcycle this week. It'll have to wait just a lil' bit. :)

VagrantXeth

My ex is getting one for my son under the condition that I provide the monitor. So I guess I will hook him up with a good sized one. I will probably throw in some speakers for him as well!