For anyone who says Alienware Area 51 is overpriced

MK6044

Sep 4, 2015
I just ordered my Area 51 R2 from Dell. Called them like some people suggested and got an extra 4% discount (could probably have pushed for more) and also you get a 5% cashback in Canada (I think it's 10% in the US)

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-...oc=daa51r2_f_h2e&model_id=alienware-area51-r2

With the discount and cashback it ends up being $2497 CAD.

I put together the same exact system and options on PCPartPicker with the cheapest possible parts and it came up to $2458 after mail in rebates plus there will be extra shipping charges.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/k77VK8

On top of that I looked up how much my 4 year old M18x will sell for on eBay, and it's still almost worth 40% of its original value. Try that with a generic build...

Needless to say I am very happy with my purchase!

Last edited:

jbomb7124

Nov 24, 2014
ny
And how much "It sure is pretty" worth!..Gratz on the new Area 51
Priceless ?? I know when I ordered my aw17 I could have just as easily bought an Asus or msi for less with the same specs but then I would not have an Alienware. Seriously aw is the Harley Davidson of the pc world. Yea my Yamaha will run just as hard and fast but it'll never be a Harley nor will it hold its resale value as strong as a Harley. You in part pay for the name but you have the option of charging for the name as well when you go to sell it.

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

Reactions: Fireguy71

W8lifts

Oct 21, 2015
Yeah its not bad. BUT, making you upgrade the PSU for a 980Ti is BS (900 extra total for the config) plus they charge, like everyone else, a lot for RAM upgrades (400) . I bought the area 51 base model, used the dell only rebate ($310) to buy the R9 390, then sold that on Ebay , then turned around and bought the 980 ti+ cash ($650) then bought my own RAM on ebay ($100)

So dell wanted 2999 for that config. I paid 1699 for the base + around 450 for the quick upgrade and I am selling the R9 370 that it came with so maybe I will get a $100 back so all in all i paid 2000 and saved a grand.

Last edited: