For those that purchased the alienware 17 ...any regrets?

Nagooro

Aug 21, 2013
Edmonton
For those that purchased the alienware 17 ...any regrets?
I am looking to buy a new gaming laptop within the next few days. For those of you that have had a chance to play around with the Aw 17, Would you recommend it? Any buyers remorse?
At this point I'm debating between asus and alienware.

Have seen the asus g750 in person and the display seems a little too grainy for my liking. How is the AW display?

Thanks for any input!

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
I can not complain about my Alienware 17. As a first time owner I can say I am more than pleased with it. Once I swapped over the video card from the on chip Intel 4500 to my Nvidia everything was smooth as butter. I would recommend it highly to anyone looking to buy. I was gun shy and with with an entry level AW17, see sig. I do wish now I would have upgraded my video card. That is not saying there is anything wrong with it at all it has took anything I have thrown at it with no problems. But there are 2 cards above the 765m. I plan on doing some video rendering over the coming weekend and that will be the real test for me :).

The display is awesome, a little bright out the box but it has amazing clarity and vivid colors! It outshines my 22" Samsung monitor sitting next to it. The the stock web cam is great no lagging, stuttering or blurring during video calls. It is working good enough that I have not hooked up my logitech cam yet.

All in all I am extremely happy with my purchase. Other than seeing that chunk of money missing from my bank account I have no remorse at all LOL

Well I'm the first to admit that I'm not the stereotypical owner of a laptop like the 17! I bought mine with the purpose of using it as a mobile workstation class machine that could handle anything I'll throw at it, and as I also enjoy a bit of gaming as well I have to say that the 17 is a machine that can handle anything. It's a great machine. It looks amazing if you turn on all of the lighting effects but looks business like in the office with it all turned off. it's rather heavy (for me anyway!) but the build quality on mine is excellent and it feels as sturdy as a breeze block. And even if running a game for a few hours the base of the machine is still quite cool. It was expensive, but you get what you pay for and I don't regret it at all. The machine will last me at least 3 years, maybe more before getting out if date and is user upgradable so I know I can sling in more and bigger discs for example. I went with the glossy 3D display and it looks amazing. It is bright, very bright, and crystal clear. And the 3D effect works really well too. But I've heard that the matte display is one of the around too although I can't comment having not seen one myself. I'd say go for the 17 as it really is a beast of a machine packing some serious power under the hood.

unikr0n

Jun 17, 2013
tennessee
i complete agree 100% with forJAT and sarah! my AW17 has been AMAZING! zero problems. just like forJAT said though.. i wish i would've ordered mine with atleast the 770m (really i wanted the 780) but alas my finances only allowed for the base model 17 with the 765. i did put an extra 8gb of memory and added a 120GB samsung 840 SSD and reloaded windows on it while turning the 1TB it came wth into storage all a pon arrival! a huge performance boost on top of its already huge performance boost.

the 765 gpu won't be able to play max settings at high fps on later current gen games and net gen games in a year. right now i can play arma 3 with the 765 with 1600x900 res @ 40ish fps on mostly max settings. 60 is about the lowest you want to go with that game. but no matter what... going from the entry level 17 ($1,499usd) and upgrading through alienware. OR just getting the entry level and purchasing the 780m gpu and putting it in yourself is gonna be around $800.

I had the Alienware m17x. I returned it after having it for almost 10 months (they couldn't fix one of the features I bought it for and Dell gave up on the concept that they were ever going to fix it). I bought an Alienware 17. I like my 17 MUCH better than I liked the m17x. I'm quite pleased with the 17. I never felt like the m17x was all it could be. I don't find I miss any of the cutesie little things the m17x had. I thought the alien head power button was cool, but other than that, oh well and the trade off is I like that I can customize the color of the alien head on the case.

Being the first laptop I have brought for gaming, I love my alien :p

I debated it for a long time and then took the plunge and purchased the mid range 17, i7 4800 with the 770m, 16GB and upgraded to Windows 8. I have only just got back into PC gaming so my library is not that huge but the games I have played I haven't had any issues with graphics or processing power. Everything seems to run smoothly.

I wasn't sure I'd done the right thing upgrading to windows 8, having not used it before, until after using it for the first week or so, I can now see the point of the new start screen/menu. It also does have some advantages to have pins direct for loading the games all in one place, including direct pins for steam games which show achievements and other info. You can also sync with the xbox account so from a gaming point of view it has some useful tools.

Have you purchased your laptop yet? The delivery time from Dell was quick for me as I deal with them in my job so my order was marked high priority, but the tracking is good and delivery went great. It came all the way from China in about four working days after dispatch.

Overall I haven't got one complaint although I haven't had it a month yet so only time can tell but I think its amazing too!

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
Being the first laptop I have brought for gaming, I love my alien :p

I debated it for a long time and then took the plunge and purchased the mid range 17, i7 4800 with the 770m, 16GB and upgraded to Windows 8. I have only just got back into PC gaming so my library is not that huge but the games I have played I haven't had any issues with graphics or processing power. Everything seems to run smoothly.

I wasn't sure I'd done the right thing upgrading to windows 8, having not used it before, until after using it for the first week or so, I can now see the point of the new start screen/menu. It also does have some advantages to have pins direct for loading the games all in one place, including direct pins for steam games which show achievements and other info. You can also sync with the xbox account so from a gaming point of view it has some useful tools.

Have you purchased your laptop yet? The delivery time from Dell was quick for me as I deal with them in my job so my order was marked high priority, but the tracking is good and delivery went great. It came all the way from China in about four working days after dispatch.

Overall I haven't got one complaint although I haven't had it a month yet so only time can tell but I think its amazing too!

in my best Joe Pesci (Vinny) voice "I’m sure she’s going to be more than satisfied" That is a good rig you got there :) Congratz :)

naveenthms

Sep 14, 2013
India
Broken Alienware on Unboxing

I am verry unhappy to inform this community that my Alienware 17 which I unboxed daybefore yesterday has come out of the box with the W key loose and nearly falling off :(

I bought this laptop with hard earned money last month and had it sent to my cousins House . I had to leave the states urgently and go to India so the Laptop was not Unboxed.I had someone bring the laptop over to me 2 days ago. And when I Unboxed it to my horror I was the W key popped up.

Please take a look at this

www.tinypic.com/r/2rnk0hz/5

www.tinypic.com/r/292bo95/5

Now it gets worse. I called the USA Tech support and they told me yesterday that I will be able to get this problem fixed with no problem under the international warranty after ownership has been transferred to My indian address. Wanting to clarify this promise from the Indian counterparts I called today morning only to find out that they will not service any products that have crossed 30 days after dispatch, this is the 42nd day, and i only unboxed 2 days ago I opened it only. This is ridiculous. They said that I'm going to have to pay for a new keyboard. This is very disheartening , after looking to get a alienware for so long and putting in so much effort to get one, i end up with this, and a crowd here in Dell India who are trying to rip me off with their Policies.

So Much for being there for fans like us :(

forJAT

Aug 7, 2013
Austin, TX
I am verry unhappy to inform this community that my Alienware 17 which I unboxed daybefore yesterday has come out of the box with the W key loose and nearly falling off :(

I bought this laptop with hard earned money last month and had it sent to my cousins House . I had to leave the states urgently and go to India so the Laptop was not Unboxed.I had someone bring the laptop over to me 2 days ago. And when I Unboxed it to my horror I was the W key popped up.

Please take a look at this

www.tinypic.com/r/2rnk0hz/5

www.tinypic.com/r/292bo95/5

Now it gets worse. I called the USA Tech support and they told me yesterday that I will be able to get this problem fixed with no problem under the international warranty after ownership has been transferred to My indian address. Wanting to clarify this promise from the Indian counterparts I called today morning only to find out that they will not service any products that have crossed 30 days after dispatch, this is the 42nd day, and i only unboxed 2 days ago I opened it only. This is ridiculous. They said that I'm going to have to pay for a new keyboard. This is very disheartening , after looking to get a alienware for so long and putting in so much effort to get one, i end up with this, and a crowd here in Dell India who are trying to rip me off with their Policies.

So Much for being there for fans like us :(

Well that sucks one would think that regardless of where it it that the keyboard would fall under the 1 year warranty unless that is not offered in India which is odd. But I don't know how Dell India works. I would suggest you staying in contact with Dell USA and try to have them talk with Dell India and get the repair scheduled that way.

Not that it will make you feel any better but I have seen other posts here and on other sites about the key board. I myself have a "misaligned" key that I plan on getting repaired however it is no where near as bad as yours.

Best of luck to you.

Derek

Sep 23, 2013
Edmonton
My Alienware 17 is about a week old, I went with a modest spec'd machine, I have 0 regrets thus far, It came with 750 and Msata, removed that setup on day 1 and put in 2 ssds. I do game but lightly, I have a very high spec'd desktop if i really want to play something at ultra. The quality and build of this machine amazes me. If I get 3 years trouble free use out of it, I would absolutely buy another. Only time will tell, ATM no regrets whatsoever. Ask me again in 36 months or I will post if issues arise.