For those using USB Wireless, using that new empty mini pci-e slot for an SSD

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
That is great info. I have a samsung 128GB mSATA SSD... plug and play? I am not sure it can support mSATA card....

Google said:
Despite the mini-PCI Express form factor, a mini-PCI Express slot must have support for the electrical connections an mSATA drive requires. For this reason, only certain notebooks are compatible with mSATA drives. Most compatible systems are based on Intel's Sandy Bridge processor architecture, using the Huron River platform. But for a mSATA/mini-PCI-E connector, the only prerequisite is that there is a switch which makes it either a mSATA or a mini-PCI-E slot and can be implemented on any platform.

Maelstrom

Finally someone has realized that you don't need a 2.5" case for such a small piece of hardware.

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Staff member
After some more checking, it looks like thay are the same form factor but different electrically, so I don't think a mSATA SSD will work.

PoOkiExL3oi

Pretty old post but I am glad I came across this post. I plan on ordering a Samsung SSD, but thanks to reading this and other articles on google search I found that mSata is the thing to do for Laptop computers and I found just the mSata SSD for me to use.

Crucial 256gb mSata SSD for the mini pci-e slot on my m14x hope it works. Thank you again.

GoHack

Pretty old post but I am glad I came across this post. I plan on ordering a Samsung SSD, but thanks to reading this and other articles on google search I found that mSata is the thing to do for Laptop computers and I found just the mSata SSD for me to use.

Crucial 256gb mSata SSD for the mini pci-e slot on my m14x hope it works. Thank you again.

Did it work?

Arcadia88

I never planned to use the wireless but this week I've tried and failed to get it to work. I went ahead and removed it. Now I am wondering about what I might be able to put in the pcie x1 slot. The idea of a SSD seems to be the best. Maybe a tuner card? Does anything exist that might go into that slot?