Fractal Design Define XL R2 Build

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I will shortly be disassembling my ALX and building my gear into a fractal case. This will be my first non-Alienware project. It's a shame that AW don't have some new full size towers but I think I will love the sleek lines of the Fractal and the cooling it offers.

b5b0d41a-2713-4b1f-a114-836cf3501548.jpg
8ba000f7-3eef-4584-aef5-f172add9bd37a.jpg

I'm hoping it will turn into a super sexy water cooled beauty.

I start my 6 week holiday tomorrow so I will have plenty of time to get it right!

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
thats nice man. im looking between a corsair 900d a little devil case or a caselabs magnum sth10. all in the 300 dollar and up range but plenty of room for big radiators. im wanting some serious cooling this go round with out all the noise of fans

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Cheers guys. It's been a long morning but I think I've sorted out the cables. Holeyguy, there is lots of room behind the mobo but I have 7 molex connections (due to all the lighting) so it has made the cable management a bit tricky. It's my first effort and I am not going to start again. The side panel fits so that's all I'm worried about! :D

photo.jpg

Sway, did you have the R4 or the XL? I'm was going for the R4 but changed my mind at the last minute. I wanted the extra 5 1/4 bays and the extra room for cooling. Very happy with the decision.

photo (3).jpg

MattyB

Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah they look identical other than the size.
I'm only running the mATX board I had in my ALX so there is heaps of room left where the extra PCI slots are. Not sure what I'll do there.
It's all up and running now! Just doing a 3DMark test.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

man thats got me all warm and fuzzy. lol i see you went with some noctua fans. i love how quite mine are.

Yeah they are super quiet. I've got the 2 x 120mm Nocturas, 2 x 120mm NB-Blacksilent PROs and 3 Fractal 140mm. The Fractals are pretty quiet too actually. The whole system is whisper quiet even with the side panel off.

photo (4).jpg

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Now onto my next project. I bought a broken X51 from an online auction house for $350. It's got no internal power jack and I have found 3 broken wires so far (both wifi antennas and the CMOS battery). Hopefully it's not too bad.

holeyguy66

Feb 26, 2012
louisiana
you wanna talk outta budget. what im doing is out of budget. its gonna take me 3 to 4 years to finish what im doing. but gonna be so worth it. im buying a titan black super clocked. same price as my vanilla super clocked and faster. prolly with a 2011 cpu. its gonna be costly but screw it. then im gonna turn around put my wifes mobo in my p1 case. give her my freshly rma'd v gene and 3770k o and my titan. til then im gonna use this titan as a physx processor