Frankenstiened M17x R1

Congratulations! I've already been doing that myself - built an M17xR2 not so long ago. Still have a few issues, but so far it's cool. :)

M17xR2_done.jpg

I have a used cable I got on ebay - wouldn't charge more than a couple bucks for it. I also have an extra HDD connector for the secondary drive and some extra screws. PM me if interested. As for the touchpad, you can find some decent deals on ebay, but you'll probably be missing the ribbon cable that goes with it. I've been searching heavily for a reliable source but I haven't come up with anything yet. Still looking. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

Congratulations! I've already been doing that myself - built an M17xR2 not so long ago. Still have a few issues, but so far it's cool. :)

View attachment 1513

I have a used cable I got on ebay - wouldn't charge more than a couple bucks for it. I also have an extra HDD connector for the secondary drive and some extra screws. PM me if interested. As for the touchpad, you can find some decent deals on ebay, but you'll probably be missing the ribbon cable that goes with it. I've been searching heavily for a reliable source but I haven't come up with anything yet. Still looking. If I come up with anything, I'll let you know.

Sadly I completed it with a track pad from an acer but my motherboard doesn't post which blows

That's odd. Generally when you get a palmrest for an R1/R2 the track pad is included. Then all you need to deal with is finding that ribbon cable...

Speaking of which, I think I'm close to locating one. Sent the specs to a seller on ebay who sells nothing but ribbon cables. If he can supply the part, and, more importantly, if it works, I will post here so anyone looking for it can benefit. I really dislike Dell Technical support anymore...

That's odd. Generally when you get a palmrest for an R1/R2 the track pad is included. Then all you need to deal with is finding that ribbon cable...

Speaking of which, I think I'm close to locating one. Sent the specs to a seller on ebay who sells nothing but ribbon cables. If he can supply the part, and, more importantly, if it works, I will post here so anyone looking for it can benefit. I really dislike Dell Technical support anymore...
I frankenstiened the track pad from an old acer aspire 6530 laptop my brother had kicking around. didn't work. I've finally got the system running tho. needed new ram. lol system is ugly but it works just need to fine a used alienware video card for it so it can be used for games