test

Games freeze after upgrading to Windows 10

Ed_

So I upgraded to Windows 10. Since then, every time I play a game, I get between 10 seconds and 30 minutes of play... and then it freezes.
- It doesn't blackscreen, bluescreen or turn off. It just *freezes*; the picture stays there unmoving but the sound stops. You can't alt-tab out or anything; requires a power button force restart.
- It almost certainly isn't the graphics drivers. I've reinstalled those using the Windows auto-detect settings; I've reinstalled those using the NVidia app that comes with the card; I've reinstalled those using the manual input of system details on the NVidia website. Still no improvement in any of these cases. I've made sure it's wiped the old drivers before upgrading.
- This happens on any fullscreen game that I've tried.
- This happens both when plugged in and when on battery.
What have I missed? How might I fix this issue?

Some details: Alienware 17, Intel i7-4980HQ, NVidia GeForce GTX 980M, recently upgraded from WIn7 64bit to Win10 64bit.

Last edited:

Kanes_Inferno

Have any Realtek drivers? GeForce Experience? I ask because when I upgraded my Aurora R4 from 8 to 10, the same stuff happened to me. I uninstalled both (after over a week of googling and trying different things) and it's been fine since. Apparently both are known to mess with some people.