test

Gaming and recommendations

JDThird

I used to play computer games all the time - one of my favorites is still the descent series, and descent freespace. I remember being floored with Doom and Wolfenstein when they first came out. But I've since migrated to consoles for the last 10 years or so, and have done nothing other than some Realflight sim on a PC.

But with all the mods and such available for games that I play on consoles (Skyrim, etc) I'm thinking I may need to try a few things out on the PC and see how they go. I've got a new 55" Samsung 3D LED that's going to be hooked up to this i5 X51 and the new 660 video card...

What would you guys recommend for something that would just blow me away as far as graphics and smoothness go? I'm a huge FPS fan, the majority of my games are FPS, so is there one I should try on this when it arrives that would showcase PC gaming for me since I've been out of it for over a decade?

Also, any recommendations for a keyboard and mouse? Since it's a media center PC my couch is about 15 feet away, so there's no easy way to get "comfy" with a wired keyboard and mouse, but most of the decent ones I see for gaming are wired. Is there any decent wireless option out there that's any good for gaming? Price isn't a concern, just functionality.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

Commy1

Try Tribes Ascend. It's free to play, FPS or FPS-RTS if you want to play competitively. It's a very pretty game if you have it on Very High, but you can customize the .ini file to however you want if you're script savy. I can crank out a steady 60fps with my 555m on Very High/Custom .ini so your 660 will be no problem.
If you played Quake then I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. If you are interested I can PM you or post some info as to how you can get start playing comp or casual organized.

Maelstrom

It depends on if your looking for competitive FPS (CoD, BF, ect.) or other FPS games (like Borderlands 2, Portal duo, ect.).

Also, if FPS games are going to be your main genre then you could use a gaming controller instead of keyboard and mouse since your switching from console.

JDThird

Just single player, something I can do after work to unwind. I have the stuff I need to use my xbox controller if I want, I already have a wireless logitech game controller for the PC, and a space orb for when I get off my rear end and solder together the bits I need to get it to work via USB with Windows 7... But still would like to get a good gaming mouse since that's where I started, and am used to that for PC stuff. Especially since one of the things I think the PC has over the console are the options for controls, more buttons available via keyboard and gaming mice... :)

Maelstrom

There aren't as many options for wireless gaming mice as there are wired but you could look at this and get an idea of what you might end up ordering.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-orochi

I can't really find much of anything on wireless gaming keyboards though. You may be able to find one with a longer wire though.

yikes81

Last edited:

JDThird

I bit the bullet and figured there wasn't much for wireless and it would be easier to just get a gaming chair and plop down on the floor closer to the TV... Ended up with a Cyborg gaming keyboard and a Cyborg M.M.O.7 mouse.

Commy1, I checked out some video of Tribes Ascend - I may have to try that out when the system arrives. Just hope it gets here before the holiday weekend here. Don't want to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday. :)

Thanks all. Now it's just a matter of patience... Which always sucks when I'm waiting for a new toy...