test

Get Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99!

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I was reading an article today about how to get Windows 8 Pro for just $14.99. So I have that Dell Zino HD I bought off eBay a while back. It's from 2011 or 2010 and came with Windows 7 Home. I put Win 7 Pro on it using my Dell Win 7 Pro OEM disc, with out any problems or prompts for a Win 7 Pro keycode as soon as I got it :)confused: figure that one out!)

So I went to the new PC upgrade offer page and filled out the form. It worked!
I got an email with a coupon code. On the final checkout page I entered the coupon and the price dropped to $14.99!

(camera phone pic)
win8screen.jpg

The $14.99 upgrade offer is valid for new PCs purchased between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013, that has Windows 7 on it.
The Windows Upgrade Offer site where you register for an upgrade offer doesn't require proof of purchase. You enter the date of purchase and the brand of PC you bought.

https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US/Registration

Great! Win 8 is cool (as I told you earlier) I also got it for around 20$ on the day of launch, great deal

sway

Nice find, I like W8 too. Didn't think I would but I had a Change of heart.

tappin from the note ll

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
I had to install a bigger SSD in the Dell Zino HD as the 64GB one got full fast. So I moved my spare 256GB Samsung 830 from my M6600 laptop over to it.

Did a clean install of Win 8 Pro, and got a message that said the license service for this key is for an upgrade only. It would not activate. UGH!!! I had to put Win 7 Pro back on, then ugrade to Win 8 Pro. I still did a clean install of Win 8 Pro but what a PITA! All good now. Still worth paying $14.99 for the extra copy. :)

sway

I had to install a bigger SSD in the Dell Zino HD as the 64GB one got full fast. So I moved my spare 256GB Samsung 830 from my M6600 laptop over to it.

Did a clean install of Win 8 Pro, and got a message that said the license service for this key is for an upgrade only. It would not activate. UGH!!! I had to put Win 7 Pro back on, then ugrade to Win 8 Pro. I still did a clean install of Win 8 Pro but what a PITA! All good now. Still worth paying $14.99 for the extra copy. :)

So I could do this right? Just go to that link and route in the date etc... gonna do this on my mom's custom built desktop I built her. Ima old people proof it, w8 seems a lil easier for her.

tappin from the note ll

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
An afterthought:

I think the $14.99 offer is nice, but I rather pay the $39.99 and get the non-upgrade licence so if I ever have to do a re-install I won't have to waste time putting Win 7 in first.

UPDATE: I just found a way to not have to install Win 7 first. After doing the clean install...do the following two things and you will now be able to activate Windows 8 Pro.

Registry Key to Modify:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE
- change the MediaBootInstall value from 1 to 0

Open an elevated command prompt
type "slmgr -rearm"
press Enter

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyxD-ifsGo (I think that guy works for Newegg. He does many of their videos.)

AeonSoul

An afterthought:

I think the $14.99 offer is nice, but I rather pay the $39.99 and get the non-upgrade licence so if I ever have to do a re-install I won't have to waste time putting Win 7 in first.

UPDATE: I just found a way to not have to install Win 7 first. After doing the clean install...do the following two things and you will now be able to activate Windows 8 Pro.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyxD-ifsGo (I think that guy works for Newegg. He does many of their videos.)

Sneaky, but I agree. Having to install first 7 and then upgrading to 8 is quite a pain in the ass.

sway

Just used this method on my m11x, did clean install of w7 then upgraded to w8. Everything runs good so far, seems a lil snappier but could be me. Still need to setup some more, got tired of looking at that small screen. Certainly worth the price of 16$ after tax.

tappin from a paranoid Note II

SWAT_Glock

Administrator
Just used this method on my m11x, did clean install of w7 then upgraded to w8. Everything runs good so far, seems a lil snappier but could be me. Still need to setup some more, got tired of looking at that small screen. Certainly worth the price of 16$ after tax.

tappin from a paranoid Note II

You could of skipped installing Win 7 all together. Just choose the "Install Later - Save to media" (something similar to that) option, then boot to Windows 8 on a USB stick. Wipe all partitions from the custom install, advanced drive options.

Then just do that regedit to activate Windows 8.

Either way you're done now, so be sure to delete the old.windows folder by using the system files cleanup tool.

Yes, you can't beat $14.99 No tax here in Delaware.. :) Also, don't forget to get your free copy of Windows Media Center by 1/31/13.

sway

You could of skipped installing Win 7 all together. Just choose the "Install Later - Save to media" (something similar to that) option, then boot to Windows 8 on a USB stick. Wipe all partitions from the custom install, advanced drive options.

Then just do that regedit to activate Windows 8.

Either way you're done now, so be sure to delete the old.windows folder by using the system files cleanup tool.

Yes, you can't beat $14.99 No tax here in Delaware.. :) Also, don't forget to get your free copy of Windows Media Center by 1/31/13.

Yeah I didn't even think about that, oops.

tappin from the Note II

Maelstrom

BEWARE, OFFTOPIC POST.

Tommy where did the "AWO *Supporter" label above your avatar come from?

It could have been there a while but I just now noticed it.