test

GFX Driver Problem M17x R4 w/ 7970

sdfonechan

Hi There,

First time owner of an Alienware product, much less a Dell too and I must say it's certainly a step up from my ol Asus G73JH. Anyway, I did what any self respecting PC owner does when he gets his machine and reformatted the drive for a Win 8 Pro rebuild (and create an image after the stable rebuild)

Everything went well and I have a stable machine using drivers from the Dell website. Hooray. Yahoo etc..

Now, here's the funny thing.

If I install the Catalyst drivers from the AMD site (either 13.4 or 13.6 beta (1 or 2)) it works fine in desktop mode (I'll get to "metro" UI in a minute) after a reboot.

Here come the problems
==================
1) Now, when I run windows update and install the recommended AMD WDDM 1.2 drivers and THEN do a reboot, it BSODS and gives me an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I guess the obvious answer is "duhh don't install the WDDM driver.. effing newb". Has anyone had that problem? Can anyone suggest a possible fix apart from the obvious.

Now I haven't installed any Intel HD 4000 drivers over that AFTER the install so I may be missing something (I'm spitballing here). Should we do an install of the Intel GFX drivers after an install of of catalyst drivers?

2) When I install the AMD Site's Catalyst drivers, my "metro" apps start behaving wierdly (IE weird artifacts, redraw lag, black patches). Does anyone know why? Is that ALSO because I haven't installed Intel GFX drivers OVER my Catalyst install.

Obviously, as it stands, I've got both Factory AMD drivers from Dell and the Intel GFX drivers from them as well installed. BUT do I need to install the intel drivers Over the AMD driver everytime I update the AMD drivers?

Anyway.. Thanks and I hope you guys can help.

AeonSoul

I'm not sure regarding R4 and AMD, but as a ground rule you should install FIRST the Intel HD drivers, then the Catalyst ones.

sdfonechan

I'm not sure regarding R4 and AMD, but as a ground rule you should install FIRST the Intel HD drivers, then the Catalyst ones.

From the posts I've seen (sorry I can't cite examples) for AMD it's Catalyst first and then Intel. I've seen NVIDA posts where it's the other way around. However, I'll give it a go after I've re-imaged my drive..

Just out of curiosity..
Has anyone successfully installed Catalyst mobility drivers & WDDM1.2 from windows update both?

Tseng

Not sure why would anyone want the Intel video.
I went through a little trouble just to find unlocked M17x R4 BIOS so I can disable the Intel video completely.
And I must say I am very happy I do so.
Nothing I can do with the Intel video, any AMD or nVidia video is 100 times better.

Xyon

@Tseng
Where did you find the unlocked BIOS? Could you post a link?
I never even knew there was locked or unlocked.

Falcon

Thank you.
:)

Hey what is use and benefits of bios unlocking? I have seen the inferno site but havent got good idea about whats being told.
Please guide me with it if thats possible. By the way i am using 17X R4 factory build untouched.

- - - - - Updated; Double Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Hi There,

First time owner of an Alienware product, much less a Dell too and I must say it's certainly a step up from my ol Asus G73JH. Anyway, I did what any self respecting PC owner does when he gets his machine and reformatted the drive for a Win 8 Pro rebuild (and create an image after the stable rebuild)

Everything went well and I have a stable machine using drivers from the Dell website. Hooray. Yahoo etc..

Now, here's the funny thing.

If I install the Catalyst drivers from the AMD site (either 13.4 or 13.6 beta (1 or 2)) it works fine in desktop mode (I'll get to "metro" UI in a minute) after a reboot.

Here come the problems
==================
1) Now, when I run windows update and install the recommended AMD WDDM 1.2 drivers and THEN do a reboot, it BSODS and gives me an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I guess the obvious answer is "duhh don't install the WDDM driver.. effing newb". Has anyone had that problem? Can anyone suggest a possible fix apart from the obvious.

Now I haven't installed any Intel HD 4000 drivers over that AFTER the install so I may be missing something (I'm spitballing here). Should we do an install of the Intel GFX drivers after an install of of catalyst drivers?

2) When I install the AMD Site's Catalyst drivers, my "metro" apps start behaving wierdly (IE weird artifacts, redraw lag, black patches). Does anyone know why? Is that ALSO because I haven't installed Intel GFX drivers OVER my Catalyst install.

Obviously, as it stands, I've got both Factory AMD drivers from Dell and the Intel GFX drivers from them as well installed. BUT do I need to install the intel drivers Over the AMD driver everytime I update the AMD drivers?

Anyway.. Thanks and I hope you guys can help.

dude why dont u use update download manager by dell/alienware which can autodetect your profile and show u appropriate updates so that it isnt cumbersome. Reply if i am wrong.

shankc

I had the the same problem with windows update for AMD driver so I just rolled back the driver and left that update alone