test

Got My GTX 670 FTW

VagrantXeth

So I finally ordered and recieved the GTX 670 FTW edition (got Borderlands 2 for free Woot!) and now I am just waiting for a 6 pin to 6 pin PSU extension cable to come in. I do not need the extra length for the cable, I just need something to be able to plug directly into the card since the X51 PSU cables have that L shaped bend to them. Once I get in the cable and have everything installed, I will be running a few stress tests to see how everything works with the new GPU.

sway

Re: Fot My GTX 670 FTW

That's awesome, I'll be switching out my current gpu for the 660ti, so I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm mostly curious about temps.

Sent from my paranoid Nexus 7

VagrantXeth

I just installed it the other day, I still need to do some stress testing and will probably be doing it on my days off. It was a freaking nightmare fitting it into the the X51 case as I had to buy an extenstion PSU cable because the one in the system has a bend to it and will not fit in the recessed PSU slot (only one) on the video card.

After much shifting of cables and adjusting to get the right fit, I was finally able to get it in. Did a quick test with BF3 just to see if it could handle it maxed out and it seemed to run perfectly, although I did notice that after a bit the connection slots on the card were really hot to the touch (I have not installed any programs to monitor temps but that is next). The game never crashed however and performance did not take a hit even after 40 minutes of play time. Once I get a temperature monitoring program installed I will post an update.

VagrantXeth

Hey Sway, how did the Sapphire work out for you? That was originally going to be my first choice.

yikes81

If this works out, I may consider the X51 ... arg!! Too many toys, not enough money!!

sway

Hey Sway, how did the Sapphire work out for you? That was originally going to be my first choice.

I like it and it plays everything I throw at it, max payne 3 on ultra as well as bf3. Im actual going to sell it and go with the 660ti though, not a real reason other than I can now and I really love the support for nvidia drivers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

sway

What are some of the temps your getting? I'm really curious, when gaming casually and hard.

tomcoleman

i just ordered a EVGA GTX 670 FTW after much reading.

Are there any cables you need apart from the 6 pin extension??

Got my GTX 660 OEM on ebay

VagrantXeth

Tom, just sent you a message regarding the cables. As far as temps, so far this is what I have thrown at it and the temps that I am getting.

Left for Dead 2 69°C
Diablo III 68°C
GTA IV 72°C-73°C
BF3 79°C-80°C

All of my gaming sessions with these games were over an hour. The only game I played that I actually heard the fan kick in with was Battlefield 3. And it was usually on levels that required a lot of work in terms of shadows, weather and smoke effects (Night Shift was the level). I did not even hear the fan with the other games (that is not to say however that it was not running).

tomcoleman

Tom, just sent you a message regarding the cables. As far as temps, so far this is what I have thrown at it and the temps that I am getting.

Left for Dead 2 69°C
Diablo III 68°C
GTA IV 72°C-73°C
BF3 79°C-80°C

All of my gaming sessions with these games were over an hour. The only game I played that I actually heard the fan kick in with was Battlefield 3. And it was usually on levels that required a lot of work in terms of shadows, weather and smoke effects (Night Shift was the level). I did not even hear the fan with the other games (that is not to say however that it was not running).

what res are you playing at? DVI? Display port?

Im on a dell 30" @ 2560x1600 so not sure how much of an improvment i will see

sway

Left for Dead 2 69°C
Diablo III 68°C
GTA IV 72°C-73°C
BF3 79°C-80°C

That's not bad at all, mine gets a lil warner all around, those fans sound like a jet engine. My office for some reason is a warm place so my comp will always be a lil warmer.

VagrantXeth

I know what you mean about it sounding like a jet engine, kinda startled me at first. But it is not like that all the time thankfully and it really doesn't bother me, I am usually pretty immersed in the game.

tomcoleman

ive tried DVI-D and Display Port both with bad frames in BF3.

HL2 on max settings @ 2560x1600 runs perfeclty!

I have the FTW on route should be delivered tomorrow

JDThird

What program are you guys using to pull the temps in the X51? Just got mine yesterday and I'm trying to see if I want to keep it where it is in my shelves under my TV or if I want to pull it out and hide it behind the TV. Figured I'd test temps in both locations and see how it goes. There's room around it and behind it and the front is right at the opening, but I want to make sure there's enough airflow in there to keep it from getting too toasty when it's under load for a while.

tomcoleman

Fot My GTX 670 FTW

I'm using the evga precision x software.

Without it my pc would just reboot due to to much power draw.

I've now adjust the voltage and fan speed and all good on bf 3 1hr+

Orcvader

And you didn't need to use anything other than the 330w brick? Just curious...

Thanks!