Got my new Alienware 17 a week ago

ceagle

Received my Alienware 17 a week ago and have spent 20 hours trying the get the damn thing working. I was also charged twice for the notebook, how good is that.
Dell support seem to have gone quiet on the support front after I advised them that I have spent too much time trying to reinstall all the software.
Issue appears to be the Intel graphics, on initial build there is no driver and you can't adjust screen resolution etc. Install the driver on the Alienware CD and it fails to boot into Windows although you can get in via Safe Mode. If you don't update the driver and do Windows update the driver is updated and same result.

Expensive brick at the moment

ceagle

Sure did. got rid of the Dell piece of #### & got an MSI Dominator. Wonderful thing

Have you fixed this issue?
Sure did. got rid of the Dell piece of #### & got an MSI Dominator. Wonderful thing

Sting_NC_USA

For the record, I've had good success overcoming a few Dell build issues. On my system, I purchased an 256GB SSD and 1TB Drive. For some reason, they installed the OS on the 1TB drive... Go figure! I did purchase the $20 USB Recovery Disk, though you can make your own.

There's a preferred installation order, available on the dell driver page for Alienware laptops, which helps in ensuring driver compatibility. That said, I did run across a single device labeled "PCI Simple Communications Controller" that simply wouldn't work itself out using Dell's drivers. This driver fixed the issue and I'm 100% up and running: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23091

Hope this helps anyone looking to choose an Alienware system. I'm quite pleased with the Laptop, and while I'm working through a few oddities with the trackpad controls, The system is performing extremely well. I, too, considered an MSI system (great equipment), though we had a corporate purchase deal offered, and the cost was significantly less.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Had to post a quick update. Was having a few issues with Bluetooth connectivity, and have had the most challenging time with a couple of the service techs. I'll spare the details, though I almost (and am not yet sure if I may still be) ready to return this laptop due to the attitude I've received from a few techs. Others have been very pleasant, but man... Never did get Bluetooth paring to work with my headset and headphones. Will save that for another day.

Last edited: