GPU busted?

Subu

Hi, new forum user here!

So I bought an Alienware x51 last summer and could not have been happier about it. However a few days ago I got a sudden freeze where the whole screen artifacted whilst I was gaming. Following this I've had increasing problems with sudden "black screens" where my computer keeps running, but my monitor does not recieve a signal. It seems to happen at random, but usually when i try and watch a video or game in any capacity. I've tried and switch to the internal graphics card and everything works fine with that.

I've already cleaned the fans and stresstested the GPU (got an openGL errorcode:7), other than that I'm out of ideas (not very tech experienced).

All of this has instilled a gnawing fear in me that my GPU is busted and i'll have to get a new card. I'm not really in a economic position to do so however (poor student) and my warranty have expired, so if you have any advice that might work i would greatly appreciate it!

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4770 CPU@ 3.40 GHz

RAM: 8Gb DDR3 (1600 MHz)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 670 GTX

Sound: Realtek HD Audio, External Focusrite Scarlet USB Card

(I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, so i apologize if that's the case)

Subu

No, the warranty is expired according to my autopsy page at least

mf9

In order to prove it's the GPU remove it, then plug your HDMI cable into the Intel HDMI socket based on the motherboard, there's a separate HDMI Socket.

Before you ask, yes the X51 comes with 2 separate GPU's.

Subu

As I wrote in my original post, I've already done it and it works fine with the Intel card.

Alienwulf

As I wrote in my original post, I've already done it and it works fine with the Intel card.

Then it is the GPU..I would call Dell support and verify about the warranty should of had a year on it. :cool:

mf9

Sorry missed that. For reference what brand of GPU is it? Does it not have any warranty? Zotac for example offer 5 years.