test

gpu change

snaven

hey everybody!

how easy is it to change the gpu and processor in the M14X? i was wondering should I send it to Dell or ask a store around here that i trust, the thing is I do have a AW warranty and dont want to void that so I dont mind sending it to dell, id like to get the best current GPU and i7-3840QM so i can keep running for a while

Maelstrom

The GPU can't be changed in the M14x as it's soldered onto the Mobo. The CPU can be changed but your stuck with the 555M unless you buy an entirely new computer.

Commy1

Bad news..
The CPU you can change, as long as you get a Mobile CPU then you shouldn't have a problem, anything LGA 1155. As for how easy it is... When Alienware says "We built our computers around the most powerful shit" they weren't kidding. The very last screw holding the computer together is the screws that hold the heatsink to the GPU/CPU. When you're done taking it apart it will be all over your table.

The worse news is that the GPU is soldered to the Mobo, and because of that is unchangeable. You can send it back to AW for a replacement, but the best they can give you is a new MOBO with a 650 on it. Don't ask the price, it hurts too much.

snaven

kk so i guess I should just keep my current one, not that it sucks since i run anything i want but i was curious long term so a good reason to buy a new kit in 2 yrs ;)

jacobberke

Yeah you should have gotten the m17x or the m18x, on those laptops you could replace the processor and graphics card, and it's way easier to replace everything as well.

snaven

main reason why i didnt its cause i wanted small and portable and also i really love alienware i really do but M17X and M18X are stupidly overpriced for what they offer, I checker Sager or Msi and would have gotten that for the price, so sad AW is so expensive their sales would climb otherwise I have many friends who wont buy it cause of that and got better rig for much cheaper, which makes me regret my choice sometimes but i got an Alien face :D

MattyB

If price is a huge issue I would suggest to keep a keen eye on the Dell Outlet store. You can get some awesome deals and still get warranty. If mobility and upgradeability are important maybe try an older M15x. I just got myself one and they are pretty good and you can put all the top GPU's in there.