GPU upgrade for x51 R3

Zenith

Sep 16, 2017
Hey,

I've been wondering which GPU to upgrade too for a while now and was wondering what would be the best choice. I wanted to upgrade to a 1070 or 1080, however I've heard this is difficult was wondering if anyone had any advice on this? Also is now a good time to buy a new GPU?

I currently have an Alienware X51 R3 with a 330w psu, i7-6700, 16gb ram and gtx 960

Zenith

Sep 16, 2017
You can install the GTX 1070 Founders Edition by trimming a little tab on the front faceplate, but you will probably want to do an exhaust fan mod to get rid of the extra heat.

That is not nearly as involved.

Hope that helps.
It's quite helpful, but would it be possible to use a smaller 1070? Is the 1080 out of the question without serious changes?

MURRARI

Aug 30, 2016
It's quite helpful, but would it be possible to use a smaller 1070? Is the 1080 out of the question without serious changes?

Some people have had luck using the 330W and powering the 1080. My 330W did not, so I modded mine to the point where I can run whatever I want.

You could use the smaller 1070 however they do not make a blower style cooler for it. With heatsink and fan style cooler you will build up a lot of heat inside the case... not good for the components.

MURRARI

Aug 30, 2016
How hard are the mods would you say?

The tab mod is super easy, takes a matter of seconds. The fan mod is intermediate and you will need a hole saw or dremel. I used a hole saw because its cleaner looking. You will need a means of holding the chassis so it doesnt move and everything lines up.

I believe there are threads on here with tutorials. I have photos in my thread too.

Zenith

Sep 16, 2017
The tab mod is super easy, takes a matter of seconds. The fan mod is intermediate and you will need a hole saw or dremel. I used a hole saw because its cleaner looking. You will need a means of holding the chassis so it doesnt move and everything lines up.

I believe there are threads on here with tutorials. I have photos in my thread too.

Looking at your upgrades I can't tell if you increased the PSU?

MURRARI

Aug 30, 2016
Guessing you had to change the motherboard? What would you personally recommend doing, been as I have very little knowledge into modding pcs?

You wouldn't have to change the motherboard. It is an ITX form factor which is fine. I upgraded mine merely because I wanted to and it matches the theme of my build. I am still not finished with modding, exterior comes next.

Zenith

Sep 16, 2017
The Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition and Asus GTX 1080 Turbo are both blower style.

Yes, the power supply is the weak spot with the gpu. Not enough power from the 330W.
Sorry for late reply, what would I need to do, to upgrade the PSU sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself. Oh sorry didn't even see that picture, that looks like you just attached a PSU on the end?

MURRARI

Aug 30, 2016
Sorry for late reply, what would I need to do, to upgrade the PSU sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself. Oh sorry didn't even see that picture, that looks like you just attached a PSU on the end?

There are a few ways to do it. I upgraded the motherboard and had to cut out the I/O backing on the case which is difficult.

Or you could make an incision where the factory PSU enters the case. Totally up to you but either way it is complicated.