GPU upgrade question

JGCarolina

Since the chassis is really small and the power supply is limited, just wondering if anyone knew the max Nvidia card I could fit in and would remain cool and compatible. Thanks in advance.

Eirreann

For the chassis size, you could easily fit a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti in there! However, your real limitation is the power supply, which at the moment can't handle a GTX 560 Ti; but it might be able to handle a normal GeForce GTX 560! Alienware released a video demonstrating upgrading from the GTX 555 (stock card) to the GTX 560.

mav711

Well that's good! But they neglected to share the stability at which the card ran.... not much good without that info. You could easily run a 560 Ti but it wouldn't be used to it's full potential without the wattage....
Correct, agree its better to consider a GTX560 stock rather than a Ti.

VagrantXeth

A tech on the Alienware Facebook page said they were trying to get a GTX 560 Ti 488 to work on the X51.

VagrantXeth

Interesting... I hope that they release some results for us!
If they do, I will make sure to post anything I hear or read! I like the X51 as it is but anything that could be done to improve it is something that is definitely worth looking into!

Eirreann

If they do, I will make sure to post anything I hear or read! I like the X51 as it is but anything that could be done to improve it is something that is definitely worth looking into!
I would appreciate it! Yes, the x51 is a great machine but any performance boosts would be more than welcome! I just cannot wait until the next-gen Nvidia cards come out, then whatever the equivalent of the GTX 560 is would probably be able to run BF3 on ultra with no issues!

yoshi351

Question: i am getting a x51 soon. I want to tweak it out a bit. Would the gtx 550 or 560 (both non ti) work with the i5 processor and 330w power supply? Or is a ti version the best wY to go? (i have a 550 ti in my current computer)

aelc89

Does any one know when the less power hungry Nvidia GPU's are going to be released?

I just found this on a site which was uploaded an hour ago,

GT 645 GT 640 GT 640 GT 640 GT 630
TDP 140W 75W 75W 50W 50W

for all the PSU usage should all be able to work with the 330w adapater correct? Just be a case of if they can fit?