Graphics card summary -X51

Zac Martin

Hi all. I've had an X51 for years and really love it. It currently has a Geforce 660ti in it that I installed a few years back and I am using the larger external PS.

I am ready to get back into gaming and am curious as to what the best card is that I could put in to this thing?

Its a redundant question on these boards but I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks in advance!

I'm also an X51 owner and I've been mulling over this for weeks and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying an EVGA GTX 970 model 04G-P4-1970-KR. I have the X51 R2 though. Make sure you have Revision 2 or you'll likely have problems unless you upgrade your power board which should cost less than $100 to do.

jcoshow89

what is the part number of the power board to do this upgrade i have r1 and need to know before buying a 970

please and thanks guys

what is the part number of the power board to do this upgrade i have r1 and need to know before buying a 970

please and thanks guys

Dell Part Number: D85RT
AKA -
Dell PWA DTRBD PWR-BRD X51 R2, D85RT

BTW: I've been running the 970 with the stock power board since Nov. 2014.
This is rare. YMMV.
- external USB fan blowing into the GPU intake vents; run a 96% power and no OC; keep temps under 74°C; balance game settings.

Last edited:

CYtrevor

You can go with stock gtx 970 or 980(with fan mod). I'm thinking of getting the 970 since the 980 is a bit expensive for me. Plus it's easier to fit in 970.

If you get on Dell's website and login there is an autodetect tool that will actually tell you a ton of specs about your PC. Check it out.

Zac Martin

If you get on Dell's website and login there is an autodetect tool that will actually tell you a ton of specs about your PC. Check it out.

Autodetect indicates: 'Computer Model Alienware X51'

Assume there would be an R2 if I had revision 2? The diagnostic is done but I'm not sure where to be looking...

Zac Martin

It should be listed on your account page with Dell and it should clearly state r1, r2, etc.

I'm signed in on Dell.com and used the auto detect utility. I am looking everywhere but do not see the revision listed.

My ship date is 3/12/13 if that hepls?

Hmm maybe try putting your service tag in and seeing if that gives you more detailed information? I got mine in February of 2014 so it may be that you have an R1 and Dell doesn't list it as an R1?

Alienware X51 R2 Launched on 6/3/2013

R1.1 - Sandy Bridge R1.2 - - Ivy Bridge
R2 - Haswell
R3 - Skylake

Last edited:

Zac Martin

Thanks all for the help. My processor indicates 'IVB' so I'm assuming I have R1.2.

So am i right that I must upgrade my power board? Kinda sucks but it is what it is...