Graphics card

nibber

Hi,
Aurora R4
Should have come here first! :(
I have just removed 2 x GTX555 (sli'd) -and fitted a single @2Gb gtx770 graphics to test the card-but I did not uninstall the old drivers!
Now the pc is stuck at the Press CTRL-I screen but nothing happens when I press these keyboard buttons .
Is there anything I can do to recover this?
Re-Installing the 2 x old cards just gives a blank screen -I don't even get the Alienhead bios screen etc.
Also need to update the BIOS as it is vey old AO3 I believe

Attachments

Last edited:

MattyB

Staff member
You can try to reset the CMOS/BIOS. Not sure it will work but it's helped me out a few times before. There should be a few videos online showing you how to do it.
I would guess that the issue is from your old BIOS version not recognising the newer card. I am surprised that reinstalling the old cards didn't work though.

nibber

Hi
I have managed to get the machine back up and running using a newer (than the old GTX555's) but still old, but more powerful Radeon card
Machine wont go past the Alienware head with the GTX770 installed.
Seen a lot of Alienware BIOS update horror stories online -I am always wary of doing BIOS updates. I have managed to find the older BIOS versions as it has to be done in order and I cannot go straight to A11 BIOS version, have to update in the correct order via the Rufus program (and not windows) but cant find a decent enough guide to be 100% confident enough to attempt the update via DOS using a bootable usb stick on start up but don't want to brick my motherboard on a machine that is now working okay again. Maybe I will just stick with it..... would of been nice to fit a newer card though.
Wanted to fit a GTX1070 or equivalent so just fitted the 770 as a stopgap which caused a real headache.
Only glad I didn't buy the 1070 first!

Last edited:

MattyB

Staff member
I have done many BIOS updates and never had a problem. You only hear about the horror stories and never about the other 99.9% which go perfectly. It's 100% up to you though. It's usually suggested to never update more than 3 versions past you current version but I always do each available one in order.
At the end of the day it's only a motherboard ;) When I was building my old R4 ALX, I ended up putting an aftermarket mobo in and still had full AlienFX functionality.

nibber

How did you carry out your BIOS update on your R4?
Any chance you can you run me through the procedure you used for the for the R4 :)
I have just dug out my old Aurora R3 from the loft just to see what GPU was fitted-I bought it a couple of years ago as a virtually bare case which had been robbed of the motherboard and cpu and internal boards-I fitted a second hand motherboard which turned out to be dead but then managed to find a brand new motherboard and a second hand cpu/various parts etc and got it all up and running fine and forgot it was in the loft until today-this R3 has actually got an Nvidia GTX770 2Gb fitted inside it and runs fine .
BIOS version on this is X13-see photo.
Is it possible to fit a GTX1070/ti card to the R4 as the rest of the pc is still quite powerful .
Just need to do the BIOS update and I can then fit a newer card

Attachments

Last edited:

MattyB

Staff member
Jeez it would have been about 4 years ago since I had my R4 and I can hardly remember how I dressed myself this morning. I can't remember if it's just an easy download and install from Dell or from a disk image. I'm sure you'd just have to put your service tag in the Dell Support page and start upgrading the versions one by one.
I can't imagine why you'd have a problem with the 1070 once you manage to update your machine.