test

Graphics upgrade

shankc

Hi, I made the mistake of buying the 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 675M card which is Fermi architecture where i should of went for either 2GB GDDR5 AMD® Radeon™ HD 7970M or the 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M which are Kepler architecture.Even though the Radeon card was cheaper, so the more expensive aren't always better :mad:

I have had my alienware M17x r4 for a month now and i'm happy with it. What i wanted to know is in the future will i be able to upgrade to the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M or is this not possible because of the different architecture and if not is their any other options for me. Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help me

AeonSoul

I don't think you'll have any trouble of sort, providing you manage to find the card and know how to replace it.

shankc

I no how to replace it I just wasn't sure about one being Kepler and the other being fermi architecture but thanks for the reply and if you or anyone could clear that up would be much appreciated

AeonSoul

Well it's just how the card itself is built. The slots where to install it are standard, so it should fit. The rest is all a matter of drivers.

shankc

Well it's just how the card itself is built. The slots where to install it are standard, so it should fit. The rest is all a matter of drivers.

Thanks for the advice on eBay the graphics card comes with driver so thanks for your help

jacobberke

You can replace the Graphics Cards in the laptops with newer ones. They don't change it, for several years. But you can always buy from HID Evolutions. However it's a pricy upgrade, you could also get them from eBay or other websites or from other people.