SWAT_Glock

Administrator
This is an interesting video...

[video=youtube;khbU3KtO2dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbU3KtO2dw[/video]

DDuB420

Hopefully that works.
He kinda went overkill on the PSU tho lol

EDIT

A modular 650 would work just fine for this setup.

Last edited:

sway

I've watched his vids, he's got a bunch on you tube. Think he's been through 5 different gpus. He's got money though.

If you swap out the mobo on the x51 just fyi you have to hook up a psu like he did to power it. Saw someone else swap out one and it wouldn't power bc aftermarket mobo just require more volts or whatever than Dell's.

tappin from the Note II

DDuB420

If you look at the chart I just posted above, the X51's stock PSU couldn't even handle the 680 if it was just the dedicated power source for it lol

sway

If you look at the chart I just posted above, the X51's stock PSU couldn't even handle the 680 if it was just the dedicated power source for it lol

That's pretty crazy

tappin from the Note II

VagrantXeth

I think that is overkill, if you want a highly customizable Alienware, just spring for the Aurora and use the money that you would be using on upgrades to pay for a higher end one that has more customization options. I prefer the svelte design of the X51 and if I want a more robust machine I will just get an Aurora.

yikes81

Sometimes it's all about the footprint. I know I would choose the X51 simply because it is smaller.

Sent via Tapatalk

VagrantXeth

That is one of the reasons that I chose it. I love the compact design and it just looks sleek as heck. I have no qualms about my purchase and would do it again.

Xtrmx51

Yea I upgraded my x51s motherboard and psu so now my 670ftw runs on max(before I was getting random shutdowns, low 3dmark 11 scores) now everything runs on max and I could install 680-690 if I wanted to

yikes81

So how are you going with heat? There is no need for liquid cooling? Fans are enough?

Xtrmx51

If u r talking to me then yes heat is ok. I use 3 noctua fans 2 80x80x25 one blowing down on the cpu and one in the back outside as an exhaust fan. I took the heat sink that was wrapped in plastic( which trapped all the heat on the cpu, and took a dremel and removed all the excess plastic so it looks like intels with the fins exposed. It actually a good heat sink cause it has a copper core most aftermarket ones r just aluminum.) and with that it dropped cpu temps 20c during load! The other noctua is where the front intake fan was! So it's supper quiet I hear no fan noise

yikes81

If u r talking to me then yes heat is ok. I use 3 noctua fans 2 80x80x25 one blowing down on the cpu and one in the back outside as an exhaust fan. I took the heat sink that was wrapped in plastic( which trapped all the heat on the cpu, and took a dremel and removed all the excess plastic so it looks like intels with the fins exposed. It actually a good heat sink cause it has a copper core most aftermarket ones r just aluminum.) and with that it dropped cpu temps 20c during load! The other noctua is where the front intake fan was! So it's supper quiet I hear no fan noise

Oh cool, thanks for that. good information.

Ray2kay

This is an interesting video...

[video=youtube;khbU3KtO2dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khbU3KtO2dw[/video]

Thanks for uploading my video. Alot of people have been asking me to make a video of how to install the power supply, if it hasnt already been posted... I'll Get back to it soon!

sway

Thanks for uploading my video. Alot of people have been asking me to make a video of how to install the power supply, if it hasnt already been posted... I'll Get back to it soon!

What up man, nice to have you. I've checked out a bunch of your vids on you tube.

tappin from the Note II

MattyB

I checked a few out a while back too. Nice to have you here with us.

VagrantXeth

Welcome aboard, with all the 'fiddling' Alienheads like to do on their machines, I am sure your input will be greatly appreciated.