test

GTX 680 x51 project

STDVirus

Been playing with the numbers a bit with wattage and i'm pretty confident i can get a GTX 680 to work inside my x51 without a external power supply. While also putting it to work! ;) Been doing a lot of research on what components to get get the best performance while saving on power.

Think this projects worth a try or is the GTX 680 over rated? :cool:

MattyB

The 670 FTW's are almost on par with most 680's out there and I believe their power consumption is a little lower. They may be a better option for the X51. Don't think there would be a huge performance difference.

STDVirus

The 670 FTW's are almost on par with most 680's out there and I believe their power consumption is a little lower. They may be a better option for the X51. Don't think there would be a huge performance difference.

Yeah you are correct honestly the main reason i was doing it is because i couldn't find anyone that has. The 670 ftw was what i was going to get but i really wanted to see if i could make it work without any bottlenecks in the system. The 670 FTW is a great card and if this doesnt work then that's what i'll get i just like to be different lol

MattyB

Yeah I'm pretty happy with my FTW's. They'll do me till next gen I think although a couple of 780ti's would make me happy!

I would go for the 680 if you want to do some experimenting. It's no fun unless you're pushing the limits!

STDVirus

yeah i agree! Wish i could just slap a 780 ti in there and call it a day lol. But i'll be picking it up Monday and i'll post some pics and or videos so everyone can see how it plays out.

bignazpwns

i have been running a overclocked GTX 680 for a while now on the stock psu and never had any problems. unlocked and modded bios im running the core at 1.1ghz and the mem at 7ghz. No issues at all. Zotac 2gb card

STDVirus

i have been running a overclocked GTX 680 for a while now on the stock psu and never had any problems. unlocked and modded bios im running the core at 1.1ghz and the mem at 7ghz. No issues at all. Zotac 2gb card

Nice what ECU are you running with that?

nando2323

I think you can get away with it on a X51 R2 with a SSD instead of 3.5" mechanical in there. But on the X51 R1 you might have issues, The Sandy Bridge on the R1 draws more power then the Haswell and that is the main reason I think you can get away with it on the R2.

STDVirus

Does the R1 motherboard not support Ivy Bridge? And currently i only have a i3 so it doesn't draw much power and prob will be a bottleneck in some games.

sway

Does the R1 motherboard not support Ivy Bridge? And currently i only have a i3 so it doesn't draw much power and prob will be a bottleneck in some games.

Any Sandy bridge mobo supports ivy too, same socket.

tappin from the neXus 5

STDVirus

Istalled my GTX 680 today it was kind of a pain to get to fit in the case due to the way the 6 pin plugs are setup but got it in and works great. It is such a huge leap from my GTX 645.

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

Loving this GPU only problem i have is my CPU is crap its the i3-3220 so i went to play metro last light starts out over 100fps then when the sound kicks in it will drop to low 20-30fps i'm like wtf so i investigate and my cpu can't handle it maxes out and my gpu has to throttle back to 28%.....Damn It! guess i know what my next purchase is lol

STDVirus

Yeah even on call of duty ghost my x51 will get frame drops down to mid 40's due to the cpu bottlenecking the gpu. While this happened my gpu hit a max load of 24%.

sway

Yeah even on call of duty ghost my x51 will get frame drops down to mid 40's due to the cpu bottlenecking the gpu. While this happened my gpu hit a max load of 24%.

It's not the cpu that's the prob, ghosts is horribly optimized. When I tried this game out I was getting insanely low fps on my custom rig. The game is just the worst cod ever made period. I mean it might be bottlenecking a Lil bit on this game, but I assure you it's mainly the game being poorly optimized.

tappin from the neXus 5

STDVirus

Yeah i'm starting to see that as well. At first i was having a problem with Metro last light but after i got some new drivers and after it ran good, 60+ fps. Yeah not to happy with Infinity Ward after spending $60 i would expect a good product. Still going to get a new cpu because the i3-3220 sucks lol

sway

Yeah i'm starting to see that as well. At first i was having a problem with Metro last light but after i got some new drivers and after it ran good, 60+ fps. Yeah not to happy with Infinity Ward after spending $60 i would expect a good product. Still going to get a new cpu because the i3-3220 sucks lol

Oh yeah I hear you, an i5 or i7 would def be the way to go.

I was thinking about selling my i5 3570k since I don't use it anymore if your interested. I would say it's an above average overclocker too, not a golden chip but real close. It runs at 4.7ghz @1.26v, can even boot 5ghz @1.32, but couldn't quite get it stable but that was on my old mobo, never tried on my new one. Can run high oc ram too, I was doing 2600mhz. This is a perfect chip if you go with a new mobo in the x51 like me. Lmk, I'll hook you up with microcenter price, and you know what your getting so that's a huge plus. Even the batch number of the chip is rare (if that crap was legit which I've heard it is) from what I saw when I looked it up.

tappin from the neXus 5

sway

I'll pm you

Forgot to add to all that info the most imp thing, temps are awesome at 4.7ghz with a h100i, prime 95 for 24hrs and only gets 76c in the summer, that's insanely good. Won't ever get that hot in normal use even gaming. A custom loop would get even more out of it, if you went that route.

tappin from the neXus 5

Last edited:

STDVirus

Well turns out i got one of the unlucky gtx 680 with very limited overclocking ability. I'm sure some of its due to the poor ventilation in the case. The card when in full load will run about 82 deg. Prob an average of 6-8 deg hotter then a normal pc build. But another thing to remember is that i have the Superclocked model 680 already so it has a slight overclock from factory. Happy over all with the performance i can play any game on very high settings but just like to push the power as high as i can hence the GTX 680 in a x51 case lol. Once i get my new cpu i should get a little more wiggle room since it will use 10 watts less then my i3 3220.