test

GTX 970 Single Fan Blower VS Dual Fan Cooling in x51

xNadeemx

Hello! I have a EVGA GTX 970 FTW in my x51 R1, it has ACX2.0 that has two fans on it. Many users have been saying that the dual fan setup on the card blows heat around the system and the single blower fan pushes heat out the back of the system. I just wanted to get confirmation that this is true because I may be stuck with this card unless EVGA or Newegg will refund or trade out the card for a reference version. If it makes a slight difference then that'll be great news for me, but I'm running this at 65C idle, and 85C during intensive gaming or benchmarking on ultra w/ vsync off, also the card at 50% fan speed is LOUD (3000 RPM), like a jet engine. I'm wondering if anyone could report temps with their single fan blower GTX 970's and their experiences with idle and load fan noise.

KillerBee33

Hello! I have a EVGA GTX 970 FTW in my x51 R1, it has ACX2.0 that has two fans on it. Many users have been saying that the dual fan setup on the card blows heat around the system and the single blower fan pushes heat out the back of the system. I just wanted to get confirmation that this is true because I may be stuck with this card unless EVGA or Newegg will refund or trade out the card for a reference version. If it makes a slight difference then that'll be great news for me, but I'm running this at 65C idle, and 85C during intensive gaming or benchmarking on ultra w/ vsync off, also the card at 50% fan speed is LOUD (3000 RPM), like a jet engine. I'm wondering if anyone could report temps with their single fan blower GTX 970's and their experiences with idle and load fan noise.

65Idle is alot if u ask me . im on R2 with Factory 760Ti anf idle is 37 to 42
as for the Full Load its the same 80 to 82 and i mean at 1440P any game on Ultra

xNadeemx

Actually I just realized I had auto off, if EVGA precision isn't on, it would run at 300rpm idle causing those temps, I'm running with the quiet fan curve on now and it's running 1330RPM (30%) at temps of 38C idle

pengful

I would recommend the blower type because only the blower type provides an exhaust for hot air. The dual fan type will circulate hot air around the confined space with no where to go. My temps are 40C idle.

KillerBee33

Actually I just realized I had auto off, if EVGA precision isn't on, it would run at 300rpm idle causing those temps, I'm running with the quiet fan curve on now and it's running 1330RPM (30%) at temps of 38C idle

Im on EVGA waiting list for 980 Stock Reference Model
Not paying some Douche anything more than what EVGA recommends and its 599$
also ill be removing DVD Drive completely for extra Air flow...in my opinion DVD drives are useless these days
thats a suggestion since you have the Double fan blowing all over ;]

xNadeemx

Im on EVGA waiting list for 980 Stock Reference Model
Not paying some Douche anything more than what EVGA recommends and its 599$
also ill be removing DVD Drive completely for extra Air flow...in my opinion DVD drives are useless these days
thats a suggestion since you have the Double fan blowing all over ;]

Yeah I just removed the optical drive, was very easy to remove and made a lot more space, I talked to EVGA and they were really nice but wouldn't let me step up to a single fan blower 970 because my FTW is of "higher performance" and therefore not eligible to step up, although they were ready to RMA my card at anytime, I might try opening the case to alleviate the heat but you should be GOOD with a stock reference blower 980, make sure you have an x51 R2 or R2 powerboard, but if you combine an R2 powerboard and stock 980 blower... You're gonna be in for some fun lol :)

KillerBee33

Yeah I just removed the optical drive, was very easy to remove and made a lot more space, I talked to EVGA and they were really nice but wouldn't let me step up to a single fan blower 970 because my FTW is of "higher performance" and therefore not eligible to step up, although they were ready to RMA my card at anytime, I might try opening the case to alleviate the heat but you should be GOOD with a stock reference blower 980, make sure you have an x51 R2 or R2 powerboard, but if you combine an R2 powerboard and stock 980 blower... You're gonna be in for some fun lol :)
R2 2013....the only thing ill have to remove is a small fan or replace it with a thinner model thats for 980 to fit. knowing myself ill be replacing it ;] in time

xNadeemx

Yup, all you'll have to do is change or remove that fan.. lucky you! EVGA said I could step up to a stock 980 with blower but I'd have to pay another 220.. and then I'd probably need to get a $40 R2 powerboard.. just great lol

KillerBee33

Yup, all you'll have to do is change or remove that fan.. lucky you! EVGA said I could step up to a stock 980 with blower but I'd have to pay another 220.. and then I'd probably need to get a $40 R2 powerboard.. just great lol
gonna be honest..these two 970 and 980 might be the last or only chance to upgrade X51's so why not make it the best ;] heh thats why im not even thinkin 970

xNadeemx

Ok, I ONLY have two options, get a blower 980 reference and upgrade to a R2 powerboard (170w limit) OR buy a mini ITX cooler master case (elite 130 [View:www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx]) and a cooler master 550w PSU (CM V550 [View:www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx]) I'm wondering if the dual fan GPU will work well in that mini ITX case, it has a lot of ventilation but I'm always worried that the dual fan gpu will blow the air in the wrong direction :/ but which do you think is better? The first option is $220 + $40. and the second is $95 + $50

KillerBee33

Ok, I ONLY have two options, get a blower 980 reference and upgrade to a R2 powerboard (170w limit) OR buy a mini ITX cooler master case (elite 130 [View:www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx]) and a cooler master 550w PSU (CM V550 [View:www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx]) I'm wondering if the dual fan GPU will work well in that mini ITX case, it has a lot of ventilation but I'm always worried that the dual fan gpu will blow the air in the wrong direction :/ but which do you think is better? The first option is $220 + $40. and the second is $95 + $50
$260 is not the end of the world;] but u'll have as close to Factory as Possible almost as intended;]
id rather have issues with high end GPU and Underclock it if needed than a bunch of auto-market crap! But thats just me ;]
Look with the 980 the only ""Unofficial"" piece is the 980 and it is now a fact that it works with many R2's.....the other option , well,,,, might be cheaper but i keep seeing people cry with 9000$ custom builds just goi to geforce.com and read comments

- - - - - Updated; Consecutive Post Auto Merged - - - - -

not pushing my idea just tryin to help!

$260 is not the end of the world;] but u'll have as close to Factory as Possible almost as intended;]
id rather have issues with high end GPU and Underclock it if needed than a bunch of auto-market crap! But thats just me ;]
Look with the 980 the only ""Unofficial"" piece is the 980 and it is now a fact that it works with many R2's.....the other option , well,,,, might be cheaper but i keep seeing people cry with 9000$ custom builds just goi to geforce.com and read comments

not pushing my idea just tryin to help!
Just make sure u get STOCK REFERENCE not OC or SC models
has to be this http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2980-KR

xNadeemx

Understood thanks for your reply :) I'm asking around to see what other people think and I'll let you know whether I go with option one or two! (but you make good points!) Wish there were more success stories with a 980 in as I've only seen one or two