test

Gtx 980 in a Alienware x51 "Need help please"

Masta-Rob

Sup everyone, names Masta-Rob. Just joined the community today. I've had 3 alienware's in my history, one was the Mx14 r2 and my current one, alienware x51 r2, I don't know what my first one was called however it was pretty tiny compared to the others.

I got this thing January 30 of this year and lately, I've been looking at upgrading my card. I saw some guy get a gtx980 into a R2 which basically is my computer so I figured I could do the same.

Here's the guy I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yBFmp8Z6geo

I recently got one and installed it today. Here a link to me posting about it on Steam.http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=487644004

Here basically how it went.

I took off the top, removed the graphic card container. Took out the 745 I had in there and replaced it with my gtx980. Removed the fan in front of the graphics card bay sense I figured it would get in the way. Plugged everything up and put it back into the computer. Made sure everything was all ready and started it back up. Used the CD to install the new driver and got everything back to normal. Played a few games and was amazed that I was getting 280fps out of games like counter strike: Global Offensive, Team fortress 2, Payday2, Deadspace2 and Hotline Miami

Now, I went back to his arena forms post and realized he used a benchmark on his computer also. Here it is: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark/all

I downloaded the demo and ran the sky diver benchmark and surprisingly, the computer shutdown barely 15 seconds into the damn thing. It Shocked me because for I can remember, that was the first time my computer has ever shut off on me like that. Happened a lot for my laptops way back when but never for this. So because of this, I'm worried. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong drivers? Did I forget something? Or maybe my computer isn't enough for his yet? I'm just lost right now.

I figured out my computer needed room to breath more so I took out my DVD driver to make space and that worked, however.I called alienware Tech support about the problem to see if they could get rid of any extra drivers and other stuff that might get in the way. She checked my drivers and said they were good but when she ran he benchmark on "Support Assist", it also crashes but mid way into it. She told me that after looking at my power, I had the wrong one. I had a 140 watt power supply and I need a 240. I told my pops about it also sense He built his own computer which runs a GTX titan Z. He told me what she said doesn't make any sense and that she was wrong so like I said, I'm completely lost right now. What do I need to do? What did I do wrong? And what do I need to do to fix it. Is there a place I can buy a new power supply to support this and a video of how I can do it? Any thing helps. I really just a quality type person but someone also still wants to be able to play the damn thing.

Here are my specs.

Processor- Intel(R)Core(TM)i3-415 CPU @3.50GHz 3.50 GH *4 of theses*

Installed memory (RAM)- 6.00 Gb 'I remember having something like 8GB of ram before placing the card so place note that"

System Type- 64bit Operating System

Display Adapters- Intel(R) HD Graphics 4400/ Nvida GeForce GTX 980

I hope you guys let me know and give me hints and tips on what I forgot about. This is my first time upgrading something on my computer besides driver wise.

Last edited:

tangonaninc

Well I just put it the EVGA reference GTX 980 and works great for me. The only difference I have is that I have the 330 watt power supply and the i7 processor. Get the stronger power supply from the dell website and update the Bios. Also you need to set-up and fan profile to manage the heat. Plenty of YouTube help for the X51 with that. See if any of that helps.

venticore

Well u need more power 330w is the best and only choice to run 970 , 980 on the r2 cause CPU tdp is so close like 20w between i3 and i7 .

Masta-Rob

Well u need more power 330w is the best and only choice to run 970 , 980 on the r2 cause CPU tdp is so close like 20w between i3 and i7 .
She told me that it was just the power box that you plug into wall and into you computer. Is that true or am I just completely wrong? I'm new to this stuff, all I've done to my previous computers are upgrading my graphics card which were 750, 745's and 660's but not for my computer. If you could, a link of a example would be great.

Masta-Rob

Well I just put it the EVGA reference GTX 980 and works great for me. The only difference I have is that I have the 330 watt power supply and the i7 processor. Get the stronger power supply from the dell website and update the Bios. Also you need to set-up and fan profile to manage the heat. Plenty of YouTube help for the X51 with that. See if any of that helps.

Yea, I have a i3 processor, hoping to upgrade to a i7 processor, but I heard when doing that, its easy to mess up your computer so I'm just going to order it and have professional do it for me. As for the power supply. Can you send me a link to a video that would help me? I some how cant find it. Like I said to the other guy, I never had a problem like this before so I'm mostly lost on this stuff. I also have a 10mm fan coming in soon to replace my old case fan that I had to take out. Either I'm going to do that by myself or have the person doing my processor do the fan also.

Let me know if here is anything I'm missing that I should be knowing. Anything helps.

venticore

She told me that it was just the power box that you plug into wall and into you computer. Is that true or am I just completely wrong? I'm new to this stuff, all I've done to my previous computers are upgrading my graphics card which were 750, 745's and 660's but not for my computer. If you could, a link of a example would be great.

Yes the power brick that ypu plug from the wall to the PC
What you will need is the 330w power brick , if you managed to grab one its easy to get the GTX 980 + i7 cpu work together in the x51 r2
I have one with i7 4770 + gtx 970 + 16gb ddr3 + 2tb hdd + 240gb ssd + blueray drive all that with the 330w power brick and never got a crash or reboot , also my cpu is constantly @ 3.9 ghz locked and GPU is overclocked @ 1450/7800 without a problem.

this is a link for a 330w power brick you can get it cheaper in other sites tho
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienwar...7996344&sr=8-1&keywords=x51+330w+power+supply