GTX560M not detected

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
So this morning I started my laptop and while I was typing in the password in the Windows login screen I got a BSOD.
When the laptop restarted it was in 800*600 resolution, and it reinstalled the Intel HD drivers automatically.

So I'm fucking freaking out here.

the GTX560M is not detected anymore from the system, nVidia control panel won't start, I tried to reinstall the drivers but they say there's no compatible nVidia card in the system. The card is not showing in the BIOS either.

After a quick lookup on the internet it seem my graphic card could have died. The only thing I did these past days that could have affected my GPU was updating the nVidia drivers.
Any thoughts about that? What can I do before calling tech support?

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
At the moment I have 296.10, but when the issue arose I had installed the latest ones (301.42 I think or something like that, not beta, the released ones).
I am actually not sure if the issue was cause by nvidia drivers themselves, but that's the only update I made on the system in a couple of months, if you exclude windows scheduled updates, and even there I'm very careful on what I install and whatnot.
So as I said, I'm just speculating it might be the drivers, but that's the only viable option I have at the moment.

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I went onto Nvidia yesterday and I noticed that they no longer advised the 301.42 driver for both of my graphics cards. Instead it came up with the old 296.10 driver. I then checked it for the 600 series cards and it suggested 301.42. I'm thinking that Nvidia have realised that the new driver isn't that good for the 500's. I was using the US Nvidia site. Just an observation. How well did 296.10 work for you?

AeonSoul

Feb 21, 2012
Italy
Never had a problem with them.

Ninjaedit: I just noticed that if I go on the US website of nvidia it suggests aswell the 296.10 drivers, while on the Italian site it keeps suggesting 301.42. For some reason, I don't trust italian stuff, so I will keep using 296.10 :p

MattyB

Resource Administrator / Forum Moderator
Mar 19, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
I'm sure Italian stuff is very trustworthy. Don't know if I would trust Italian guys around my girlfriend though........ :D

I'm using 296.10 on my M11x but still using 301.42 on the M17x. I don't seem to be having any troubles with the games that I play. I'm glad everything worked out OK for you! That would have been scary.