test

GTX560M not detected

AeonSoul

So this morning I started my laptop and while I was typing in the password in the Windows login screen I got a BSOD.
When the laptop restarted it was in 800*600 resolution, and it reinstalled the Intel HD drivers automatically.

So I'm fucking freaking out here.

the GTX560M is not detected anymore from the system, nVidia control panel won't start, I tried to reinstall the drivers but they say there's no compatible nVidia card in the system. The card is not showing in the BIOS either.

After a quick lookup on the internet it seem my graphic card could have died. The only thing I did these past days that could have affected my GPU was updating the nVidia drivers.
Any thoughts about that? What can I do before calling tech support?

yikes81

A user on another forum had the same issue and they tried this fix.

Yes! I fixed It by restarting my computer in safe mode, going to device manager and rolling back the driver. Man Im happy thats fixed, thanks homank76

yikes81

Im not sure. But the affected user did an update of GPU drivers and had the same issue. Possibly due to some error in the coding.

AeonSoul

Oddly enough, I tried to rollback the Intel drivers, and seems that might have fixed the issue.

yikes81

LoL. Good to hear that this fixed your issue. Maybe this will help out users later when they do udpates.

AeonSoul

So far so good, I'm wondering if I should try to update again the nvidia drivers tho..

yikes81

If you do, make a system restore point first.

Edit: Double post.
Note: Is there a delete post button??

AeonSoul

I just fear they might cause an issue and this time I might not be able to fix it myself D: I can't really afford to send my pc to DELL's since I need it at work :s

AeonSoul

At the moment I have 296.10, but when the issue arose I had installed the latest ones (301.42 I think or something like that, not beta, the released ones).
I am actually not sure if the issue was cause by nvidia drivers themselves, but that's the only update I made on the system in a couple of months, if you exclude windows scheduled updates, and even there I'm very careful on what I install and whatnot.
So as I said, I'm just speculating it might be the drivers, but that's the only viable option I have at the moment.

MattyB

I went onto Nvidia yesterday and I noticed that they no longer advised the 301.42 driver for both of my graphics cards. Instead it came up with the old 296.10 driver. I then checked it for the 600 series cards and it suggested 301.42. I'm thinking that Nvidia have realised that the new driver isn't that good for the 500's. I was using the US Nvidia site. Just an observation. How well did 296.10 work for you?

AeonSoul

Never had a problem with them.

Ninjaedit: I just noticed that if I go on the US website of nvidia it suggests aswell the 296.10 drivers, while on the Italian site it keeps suggesting 301.42. For some reason, I don't trust italian stuff, so I will keep using 296.10 :p

MattyB

I'm sure Italian stuff is very trustworthy. Don't know if I would trust Italian guys around my girlfriend though........ :D

I'm using 296.10 on my M11x but still using 301.42 on the M17x. I don't seem to be having any troubles with the games that I play. I'm glad everything worked out OK for you! That would have been scary.

AeonSoul

I'm sure Italian stuff is very trustworthy. Don't know if I would trust Italian guys around my girlfriend though........ :D
Depends, in my opinion when it comes down to IT stuff Italy is like 10-20 years behind.

yikes81

Nvidia seems to be going the way of ATI in terms of drivers. Too many issues with the updates.

Nvidia seems to be going the way of ATI in terms of drivers. Too many issues with the updates.

Remember my hang issue? the updates could have been a possibility for being a cause of the problem.
Well good that you got it back working Aeon, that is one really messed up thing to happen.

yikes81

I am starting to think that Nvidia has ATI ex-employees working for them. LoL.

MattyB

I haven't had any experience with ATI cards or drivers (except for my mates one). Nvidia are nice and easy to update but most people around the world seem to be getting sick of all the problems.